Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 6th June 2005, 13:30

Kari Lumppio is on a distinguished road
Article of K. Scheer (4./NJG 100) - Fw 189 night fighter photo

Hello!

In Estonian newspaper Eesti Ekspress (June 2nd, 2005) there was a two-page article about Klaus Scheer, who flew with 4./NJG 100. This unit was based at Tallinn, Estonia for the period of February-June 1944.

The article in itself is in Estonian (no problems, eh?) and the text can be found also in internet:

"Tallinna kaitsja" (A Defender of Tallinn) by Tarmo Vahter
http://www.ekspress.ee/viewdoc/17757...257011001ED7AE

The internet article also contains one photo, a Fw 189 night fighter with squiggle camo.

For those with interest in these things, here is link to a site which describes the bombing raids against Estonia during WW2 (don't let the title scare you away):
"Märtsirünnak - The March Raid, The Soviet terror air raid to Tallinn on March 9/10, 1944"
http://users.tkk.fi/~andres/m44/

The site has also this piece:
"Defences of Tallinn: a Junkers Ju 88C-6 nightfighter of 4./NJG 100"
http://users.tkk.fi/~andres/m44/m44defju.htm

which contains one photo of Ju 88C with code +BM visible. This was Klaus Scheer's mount as he was the unit's TO (his own words). The whole code in the photo is either c9+BM (up to late March 1944) or the more familiar w7+BM. Camo is interesting and I have yet to come to a satisfactory conclusion. (Originally black with added blotches, 70/71/65 with added blotches of something light or something completely different?)

Cheers,
Kari Lumppio

PS For those in Finland, you may still able to catch the Eesti Ekspress issue today (monday 6.6) at R-kioski, Akateeminen etc.
Old 6th June 2005, 16:30
Alter Hase

Juha is on a distinguished road
Re: Article of K. Scheer (4./NJG 100) - Fw 189 night fighter photo

Kari, thanks for the link.
Time to try find out a rather elementary Finnish-Estonian-Finnish dictionary I have buried somewhere in my attic.

Juha
Old 6th June 2005, 17:37

Sergio Luis dos Santos

Hi Kari,

I still think gray may have been used. I remember seeing an old title by Jerry Scuts showing some Ju 88 from NJG 100 in what appears a three tone gray splinter camouflage. Some of them have - I think - a yellow fuselage band. Scheer´s plane has dark areas - black? green? - and some lighter ones on fuselage (wings also?). It looks a disruptive painting for better camouflage on soil since I believe Russian night-fighters were not a danger to them. I confess do not have information on the Russian NFs.
Old 6th June 2005, 23:31
Alter Hase

RT is an unknown quantity at this point

A question a bit out of thread but how is different the finnisch to estonian, like italian nd spanisch or italian nd german...????
Old 7th June 2005, 01:26

Kari Lumppio is on a distinguished road

Estonian and Finnish language

Grammatics generally similar (partially with different endings to words though). Prononunciation similar. I'd say more than half of vocabulary differs (sometimes meanings of same word are radically different...). Average Finn doesn't understand practically nothing from normal speed spoken Estonian - I can speak from my own experiece before meeting my wife... Vice versa situation a bit better (legacy of ability to see Finnish TV in Northern Estonia even during Soviet times).

Cheers,
Kari
Old 9th June 2005, 14:12
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: Fw 189 night fighter photo

On holiday in France over 20 years ago, I bought a special edition of a magazine called "Mach 1" on Luftwaffe night fighters, with text by Gebhard Aders. This included a colour photo of an Fw 189 with radar. No unit marking are visible but the aircraft is 76 overall with heavy 75 mottle on the upper surfaces. There is a yellow band on the one tail boom that you can see.