Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 23rd March 2020, 14:45

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough
Re: A plea from me and no doubt other writers

....The amount of research in a caption that extensive is quite simply phenomenal, not to mention time-consuming. Each word/sentence has to be checked and re-checked. I like the text block on the 'empty space' in the photo. Other choices involve potentially reducing the size of the image. There's far too much white space in some photo books.
Old 23rd March 2020, 14:58
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vasco View Post
I would suggest you don't talk crap about something you obviously know nothing about - i.e. my books.

Buy the books and read my captions. Until then, DON'T make any kind of judgement call about the content and captions in my works. We can do without idiots like you making such comments...
Where did I say exactly that I referred to your books? I do suggest that you refrain from commenting on a comment you obviously don't understand. I surely can do without an idiot like you making such comments.
Old 23rd March 2020, 16:22
Alter Hase

John Vasco will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukka Juutinen View Post
Where did I say exactly that I referred to your books? I do suggest that you refrain from commenting on a comment you obviously don't understand. I surely can do without an idiot like you making such comments.
This is what you said: “…Perhaps authors/publishers should consider having similar substantial captions as standard...”

I replied: “…I smiled…”

You then replied: “…Which implies you prefer captions with few words like "An aircraft over England."...

So you are clearly stating, in response to my comment ‘I smiled’, since you quoted it, that the implication is that I prefer captions with few words like “An aircraft over England.” Which is utter rubbish, and you are not qualified to make such an implication.

Now, when I came back at you showing with two examples that what you implied was clearly 100% incorrect, and called you out on it for what you are, you didn’t like it. Well, the fact is, you DID talk crap. And you DID make a judgement call on me. And you ARE an idiot for posting such unsubstantiated rubbish about me.

And I did understand your comment. Perfectly. If you are going to post throwaway comments on a public forum about authors, you should expect them to come back at you and show you up for being wrong when you are. And if you haven't got the spine, or the thick skin, to take those comments, then don't put your incorrect comments up in the first place, and then you won't get butthurt.

Splinter Live at The Cavern, November 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOCksQUKbI

Danke schön, Dank schön ich bin ganz comfortable!
Old 23rd March 2020, 16:35
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, cool the insults or I will lock this thread. Can you not have a decent discussion without the insults?
Old 23rd March 2020, 16:40
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point

Wrong again. Take a look at any good dictionary for the exact definition of "to prefer". One may prefer A over B, but still end up doing B. As for the comment of what I believed you to prefer, it was based on your supposed smile (as I interpreted your "smile" to be akin to the smile on the face of Vasili Blohin when he shot "bourgeoisie vermin"). As for not having read your books, I have read 3 of them. All over 5 years ago.
Old 23rd March 2020, 16:43
Alter Hase

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beaman View Post
OK, cool the insults or I will lock this thread. Can you not have a decent discussion without the insults?
I agree, John.

But if a guy lays allegations, then I feel I have to defend against unjust allegations. And I posted up proof in my defence.

You know me, John - I'm a straight shooter. You should have addressed this via PM to the other guy. It's people like him who drive researchers like myself and Chris Goss (and others I could name), who've done research way back into the pre-internet days, to consider not bothering to provide any further information from the fruits and expense of our many decades of research, given the attitude we see.

Splinter Live at The Cavern, November 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOCksQUKbI

Old 24th March 2020, 12:16

AndyMa is on a distinguished road

I don't know any of you, so my comment might lay the matter at rest.

John, all I will say is when I saw your post "…I smiled…” I didn't have the foggiest idea what you were talking about! Was that comment supposed to mean something to people? Because if it was, I don't think a lot of us "got it"...
Old 24th March 2020, 14:08
Alter Hase

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMa View Post
I don't know any of you, so my comment might lay the matter at rest.

John, all I will say is when I saw your post "…I smiled…” I didn't have the foggiest idea what you were talking about! Was that comment supposed to mean something to people? Because if it was, I don't think a lot of us "got it"...
I'll answer that quite simply for you, Andy.

This is what the other poster wrote: "...Perhaps authors/publishers should consider having similar substantial captions as standard..."

Quite simply, he is telling authors that they should consider having substantial captions to the photos in their works. I replied 'I smiled', since I have always provided as much information as possible in captions in the 11 books I have written/co-written. I went further as the discussion continued by providing two examples of the kind of captions that I write. They are not the 4 or 5 words that Jukka sneeringly suggested I did, or liked.

And just to reinforce my point, here's another seven and a half lines of caption to the photo on this page:

So I hope you can now see the point I was making to the other poster - don't make presumptions about another person without the facts 100% to back you up.

TO JOHN BEAMAN: I am simply answering John's query, not seeking to stir things up any further...

Old 24th March 2020, 14:53

AndyMa is on a distinguished road

Once again, I will try to play the impartial judge.

John, somehow you seem to have taken Jukka's comment "...Perhaps authors/publishers should consider having similar substantial captions as standard..." as a personal slight on you and your books.
It is surely just a general comment, which he is quite entitled to make.

Quite simply, you and Jukka seem to be misunderstanding each other's posts, which had lead to a pretty unnecessary slanging match...
Old 24th March 2020, 15:28
Alter Hase

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMa View Post
Once again, I will try to play the impartial judge.

John, somehow you seem to have taken Jukka's comment "...Perhaps authors/publishers should consider having similar substantial captions as standard..." as a personal slight on you and your books.
It is surely just a general comment, which he is quite entitled to make.

Quite simply, you and Jukka seem to be misunderstanding each other's posts, which had lead to a pretty unnecessary slanging match...
Andy, It is a 'catch-all' phrase, and as such, embraces ALL authors. That's all that needs to be said. No misunderstanding on my part, although I do acknowledge that as English almost certainly is not his first language, his choice of words/phrase is somewhat unfortunate.

But then, if English is NOT your first language, one should be even more careful about what one says in that language about authors. Particularly when he quotes a specific author as the standard at which to aim for...