Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation

Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation Please use this forum to discuss Military and Naval Aviation before the Second World War.

Old 17th January 2020, 22:26
Alter Hase

musec04 is on a distinguished road
Fokker B.I/B.II Serial Assistance

Hello,

Currently for sale on ebay at:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/33x-REPRO-Fo...8AAOSwOeBeIgrE

are a number of reproduction images. At the bottom of the collection is an image of a Fokker B.I/B.II with a serial number which I read as B.1374/15. But I'm uncertain and would welcome second opinions. The nearest Fokker B Type serials I have seen to this serial are in the B.1356/15 to B.1360/15 range and the source may not be reliable. Between these aircraft and B.1374/15 (if I read it correctly are a series of Euler B.II B.1361/15 to B.1372/15.

Has anyone seen any other photos of Fokker B Types in the B.1373/15 to B.1379/15 range?

TIA,

Clint
Old 18th January 2020, 10:47
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Fokker B.I/B.II Serial Assistance

I agree with you Clint

Certainly this is B.1374/15

Looking through my Fokker B type photos in German markings showing actual Bestellnummer, I came up empty handed!

I have taken the liberty to ask the seller if he can verify the actual serialnumber for us.

Cheers
Stig
Old 18th January 2020, 17:01
Alter Hase

Hi Stig,

Thanks for the query to the seller.

I'm wondering if the Fokker B.I/B.II have been covered in any of the relevant periodicals dealing with WW.I aircraft.Did Peter M Grosz ever publish anything anywhere on Fokker B types?As far as I'm aware there's nothing in book form with the serial numbers.Hopefully Aeronaut extend their coverage to Fokker before too long, though I believe Halberstadt will be the next manufacturer covered. Looking forward to coverage of the B Types of Halberstadt when that happens.

Regards,

Clint
Old 18th January 2020, 17:31
Alter Hase

Sorry Clint

If Peter Grosz ever did something on the Fokker B-types (outside what's in his small general book with Volker Koos) it is unknown to me.

Trainers usually generate quite a low interest from even enthusiast, so they are basically less researched than the more "sexy" types. Never understood why really, since if it wasn't for trainers, well there would be very little flying done at all....

Yes, let's hope Jack Herris continues with his range of German manufacturers.
Pity they are mostly pictorials, but as long as all known Bestellnummer are listed, I am happy!

Cheers
Stig
Old 8th June 2020, 17:47
Alter Hase

Hello,

Having received my copy of Aeronaut's Halberstadt Aircraft Vol.1 I can now provide further information on the aircraft shown in the links. Probably a dead link by now?

The aircraft shown is not a Fokker B.I or B.II but rather is described by the Author Jack Herris on P.56 as a Halberstadt-Fokker.

Three phtographs of the aircraft are provided, the third of which is a much higher quality variant of the one I posted.The serial can be clearly seen and is B.1374/15.

Regards,

Clint
Old 9th June 2020, 18:16
Alter Hase

Hi Clint

But surely Herris cannot be of the opinion that the type is separate from the Fokker model?

It makes no sense to me that the Germans would allow Halberstadt to develop something that in principle was a Fokker look-a-like trainer. I have a hard time to see any difference at all, admittedly from the rather mediocre photo which made it all the way to e-bay, but still....

Looks more like some kind of licence production by Halberstadt.

Cheers
Stig
Old 9th June 2020, 19:28
Alter Hase

Hi Stig,

The text states that the H-F "appears to be basically a Fokker M.10 two aeater fuselage,engine and tailplane with a different wing cellule and and cabane strut arrangement.." J Herris Halberstadt Aircraft of WWI Volume 1 P.56 Aeronaut Books 2020.I will be interested to see what you think when you acquire a copy.

Regards,

Clint
Old 9th June 2020, 22:32
Alter Hase

It may take a while before I get a copy Clint

However, it sounds like Herris don't really know what to make of it, if that is his complete comment.

I am not a technical guy (not even that interested) so I cannot make anything out of his suggestion either.
Unless someone has something "better" I still go for a a licence built Fokker B.II trainer.

Cheers
Stig
Old 9th June 2020, 22:52
Alter Hase

Hi Stig,

There's a little more text, but I didn't want to steal all J ack Herris' fire. One of the interesting bits is the admittedly small amount of text (9 lines), states its not known how many there were so perhaps it's possible to hope more might turn up.

Regarding Fokker and Halberstadt more generally, there's not a lot of difference between the Fokker A types and the Halberstadt A.II and to my mind (if functioning) and eyes (ditto) the Halberstadt B.I looks very Fokkeresque and indeed J Herris states that the fuselage was based on the M.8, while the A.II again used the M.8 fuselage as a basis. More information on all of this would be welcome, but that's a more detailed book required I think. I wonder if all this was based on some agreement between Halberstadt and A Fokker?

Regards,

Clint
Old 9th June 2020, 23:53
Alter Hase

Sounds to me there is a clear Fokker connection then....

Cheers
Stig