Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 12th January 2005, 10:14
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road
BoBT&N question to Peter Cornwell

It is some time since publication of the book and it never really focused on German losses. Have you ever considered a separate volume covering them but in greater detail, possibly including RAF losses as well?
Regards
Old 12th January 2005, 16:11
Alter Hase

John Vasco will become famous soon enough
Franek,
"...it never really focused on German losses..."
Tell me you're not serious. You've got to be joking.

Splinter Live at The Cavern, November 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOCksQUKbI

Danke schön, Dank schön ich bin ganz comfortable!
Old 12th January 2005, 17:06
Alter Hase

John, do I have to write you, how many pages are devoted to the losses comparing to the rest of the book? Really, I appreciate the effort but I believe the list may be easily extended to a separate, much sought volume.
What I am looking for are:
- christian names of crew involved,
- places of initial and current burials,
- details concerning losses, including fates of the crew (eg. parachute failed, washed ashore on..., etc.),
- details concerning sources (eg. GQ6 (wrong date) + police records + burial records).
I do not mention that the volume missed details of BC, CC, TC and all other British aircraft losses but FC.
Not an accusation but rather a question and suggestion.
Old 12th January 2005, 21:56

Peter Cornwell is on a distinguished road
BoBT&N revisited

Franek,

Thanks for the Q. As you rightly conclude I do have a great deal more to offer on the subject of 1940 losses having continued my research since original publication back in 1980. However, I doubt that any publisher would seriously consider a book such as you describe as being commercially viable. Winston Ramsey took an immense risk with BoBT&N and I am just grateful that his faith, not to mention investment, has been justified. But broadening the scope of the work, thus widening its general appeal, no doubt contributed to the perceived lack of focus you mention.

I think we came closer to the type of work you describe in the subsequent Blitz T&N volumes where narrower focus allowed greater level of detail to be included. But even this falls far short of what is now possible. A book encompassing ALL the information as you describe is easily achievable given the current state of my records, but where is the publisher bold enough to tackle such a project ?

All that said, there are plans in hand to make my database available on a website, but you need to be patient as I am currently fully occupied on a companion volume, Battle of France Then & Now. Thanks again for the Q.
Old 14th January 2005, 11:01

Geoff Kennell
Given the iconic status of TBoBT&N and TBT&N, it's hard to imagine that there would be not enough demand for the sort of book/volumes that Franek is referring to, but I'm not an expert in these matters.

I daresay such a book/s would be rather bulky & expensive, and would enough people think the extra information worth it, if they already have the two titles above? Perhaps these two books are the victims of their own success!

I am a member of The Shoreham Aircraft Museum (see our website at www.shoreham-aircraft-museum.co.uk), and editor of the museum's newsletter. Both the above titles have been of very great use & interest to myself, and the museum. Indeed it was receiving a copy of BoBT&N Mk I one christmas, and realising from it that aircraft had crashed during the battle almost on my doorstep, that really sparked off my own research into these local incidents, and which led me in the end to where I am now, helping to run a small, but thriving, aviation archaeology museum.

The news that the information gathered since these books were published may well find its way onto a website is very very welcome & something to look forward to.

Geoff.
Old 14th January 2005, 13:57
Alter Hase

Re: BoBT&N revisited

Peter
I think I start to dislike you - you say you have all the necessary stuff but you tell me to be patient?!
Jokes aside, I did not expect anything other after 25 years that passed since original edition.
I know Blitz series as well but unfortunatelly it covers aircraft crashed on British soil only. My scope is not that much limited!
Concerning the book, the only thing I am afraid of is price - some titles are ridiculously expensive in recent times. But how about such publishers like Air Britain? Beautiful, reasonably priced books? There are other possibilities I think but if you do not care about it and willing to put it on the web instead, it is just perfect for me (and my pocket).
Whatever happens, I am extremally impatient, I have to identify those 303 Sqn victims at last!
Best wishes