Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 15th July 2017, 17:19

Darrell3559 is on a distinguished road
Flak Units

Have a small head scratcher that maybe someone can help me with.
I have been doing research on my Opa's service as part of a Flak crew.
His original unit was 3./Flak.Ers.Abt.26.
He was captured in March of '45 with Flak-Regiment 59.
I have plenty of reference material on Flak-Regiment 59, and recently got a copy of 'German Order of Battle 1944'. The book made a reference that these replacement battalions usually has a parent battalion of the same number.
I had contacted Michael Holmes a few years ago after studying his great Luftwaffe website and asked if he had any info regarding the 26th replacement battalion. Sad to say he could not give me any info, mostly due to the fact that a lot of records were destroyed.
My questions are is anyone familiar with the battalion numbering system?
Would a replacement battalion share the same number as a parent battalion?
I have a copy of Flak-Regiment 59's operational history.
1.12.44 under 19. Flak-Brigade with le.87 (mot.); Stab, 5./le.196 (v); gem.537 (v); 2., 5.-6./le.722 (o) and 4./le.827 (o); 2./le.827 (o); Stab, 1., 2., 4./le.859 (E); 4./le.999 (v); Stab/gem.zbV 12600 (b.mot.)
1945 in Mittelrhein area (Luftgau XIV), and later under 1. Flak-Brigade.
These are the last 2 entries on the unit history. As you can see the battalions listed don't come close as to being a parent unit of Flak.Ers.Abt.26.
Although I do know that my Opa was on a crew in Paris and he was situated on a rooftop (my mom's recollections), I feel as though I have gotten to an ending in my research.
The only thing that I am fairly certain of is that he would have been with a light or mixed battalion due to the fact of his gun being deployed on a roof top. I don't recall ever seeing a heavy gun in that position.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 15th July 2017, 19:24

Horst Weber
Re: Flak Units

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell3559 View Post
Have a small head scratcher that maybe someone can help me with.
I have been doing research on my Opa's service as part of a Flak crew.
His original unit was 3./Flak.Ers.Abt.26.
He was captured in March of '45 with Flak-Regiment 59.
I have plenty of reference material on Flak-Regiment 59, and recently got a copy of 'German Order of Battle 1944'. The book made a reference that these replacement battalions usually has a parent battalion of the same number.
I had contacted Michael Holmes a few years ago after studying his great Luftwaffe website and asked if he had any info regarding the 26th replacement battalion. Sad to say he could not give me any info, mostly due to the fact that a lot of records were destroyed.
My questions are is anyone familiar with the battalion numbering system?
Would a replacement battalion share the same number as a parent battalion?
I have a copy of Flak-Regiment 59's operational history.
1.12.44 under 19. Flak-Brigade with le.87 (mot.); Stab, 5./le.196 (v); gem.537 (v); 2., 5.-6./le.722 (o) and 4./le.827 (o); 2./le.827 (o); Stab, 1., 2., 4./le.859 (E); 4./le.999 (v); Stab/gem.zbV 12600 (b.mot.)
1945 in Mittelrhein area (Luftgau XIV), and later under 1. Flak-Brigade.
These are the last 2 entries on the unit history. As you can see the battalions listed don't come close as to being a parent unit of Flak.Ers.Abt.26.
Although I do know that my Opa was on a crew in Paris and he was situated on a rooftop (my mom's recollections), I feel as though I have gotten to an ending in my research.
The only thing that I am fairly certain of is that he would have been with a light or mixed battalion due to the fact of his gun being deployed on a roof top. I don't recall ever seeing a heavy gun in that position.
Any help would be appreciated.
Good evening !

Flak is a tricky Thing.

Flak Reg. 59 was stationed in the Bitburg area, Germany, at least on January, 2nd, 1945, when the unit reported to Armee-Oberkommando 7: "Über die mangelhafte Organisation des Luftschutzes in Bitburg geht ein Bericht an AOK " (source: BA-MA KTB 80. AK, page 226 BA-MA)

Hope it helps

Horst Weber
Old 15th July 2017, 23:10

Darrell3559 is on a distinguished road

Thank you.
Old 15th July 2017, 23:54
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

A heavy gun on a rooftop is possible. However, as the war situation was rapidly changing, personnel may have been "attached to" other units as reinforcements or to create a heavier defensive zone/area. Or were split up to reinforce other areas.

"Regimental staff without own departments.
Staff / Flak Regiment 59 (v)
Presented on July 15, 1941, in Paris, from the Staff of the Flak Regiment 31, the staff formed the anti-aircraft group in Paris, and in February 1943 led Flak Division 344, Flak Division 496, Flak Division 593, The Flak Division 538, the Flak Division 744, the Flak Division 859 and the Flak Division 997. In April 1944, the staff at the 13th Flak Division led the heavy Flak Division 496, the heavy Flak Division 538 , The heavy Flak Division 125, the Heavy Flak Division 859, the Light Flak Division 911, the Light Flak Division 997, the Mixed Flak Division 344, the Mixed Flak Division 442, and the Mixed Flak Division 683. From May 1944 onwards, the staff of the 1st Flak Brigade under the command of Paris. In September 1944, he was transferred to the Luftgau V, and in October 1944 he led the 2nd / light Flak Division 821, the stab and the 1st, 2nd and 4th / light Flak Division 882, the Staff and the 1st .-4. / Light anti-aircraft unit 996, the light alarm flak battery 12./XIII and the light alarm flak battery 15./XIII. In 1945 the staff was located on the Middle Rhine.
commanders:
July 16, 1941 Colonel Theodor Herbert
16 November 1942 Colonel Egon Baur
January 1944 Colonel Walter Weiss
15 November 1944 Colonel Werner Huck"
Hope this helps,
Ed
Old 24th July 2017, 20:28
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Darrell -

I have some information that might be of interest and helpful but I was unable to contact you by PM (Private Message). So please contact me by PM and let me have your e-mail address.

L.
Old 21st September 2017, 15:27

Jean-Loup is on a distinguished road

"I have plenty of reference material on Flak-Regiment 59,
I have a copy of Flak-Regiment 59's operational history."

Hi

I am looking into the history of a soldier of Flak Regt 59 who was killed in the Paris area in August 1944 in ambushes with partisans. Would it perhaps be possible for you to contact me to see if anything about this period is mentionned in the documents you have, or in the operational history?
I can be reached by email at schyzowolf@yahoo.fr

Thanks

Jean-Loup
Old 24th June 2018, 15:34

KrisJG3 is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Flak Units

Hi Darrrel,

Please contact with me:
Huball25@poczta.fm

Do You know (FPN) Feld Post Number for Flak.Ers.Abt.26 ????

BR

Kris
http://pomorze1945.com/?co=&lang=EN
Huball25@poczta.fm

http://www.en.truthaboutcamps.eu
http://auschwitz.org/en/

Team of SS KL Auschwitz:
http://pamiec.pl/pa/form/60,Zaloga-SS-KL-Auschwitz.html
Old 24th June 2018, 16:25
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Do You know (FPN) Feld Post Number for Flak.Ers.Abt.26 ????
Kris -

Flak-Ers.Abt. 26 Barth and 90% of the other Flak-Ersatz-Abteilungen did not have Feldpostnummern because they were intended exclusively for duty in the Heimat - with only a few exceptions, they remained in the Reich throughout the war. If they were ordered to the Front or to the occupied territories, then they were issued an FpN.

Further, Flak-Ers.Abt. 26 was dissolved/disbanded in 1941 or early 1942. The last date I have for it is 11.1940 at Barth.

L.