Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 14th October 2011, 23:37

jcsancho is on a distinguished road
ANR Claims on 14 May, 44

Looking for additional information regarding the claims made by Bruno Cartosio and Carlo Cucchi over a B-24 and P-38 respectively. Location, sorties made by I GC, time etc... Info regarding claims by ANR obtained from Tony Woods - O.K.L Fighter Claims Reich, West & Sudfront.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 15th October 2011, 06:38
Alter Hase

Johannes has a spectacular aura aboutJohannes has a spectacular aura about
Re: ANR Claims on 14 May, 44

Hi

I think that both of these were never confirmed, though that doesn't necessarily mean that they were not going to be confirmed, could be they were awaiting to be confirmed, but were not before the wars end, or that they were rejected by the Luftwaffe "more vigourous" claims system, though Cartorio had earlier claims confirmed on the same system!

Regards

Johannes
Old 15th October 2011, 15:05

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping to gather information on the groups actions on the day in question. Confirmation or evidences supporting claims would be great but is not necessarily what I'm looking for. Thanks for your support.
Old 15th October 2011, 18:42

veltro is an unknown quantity at this point

On May 14, 1944 eighteen Macchi C.205s scrambled from Reggio Emilia a/f against enemy bombers in Veneto area. Three bombers were claimed apparently by M.llo Scarpa. S.M. Leone and S.Ten. Storchi (no claims ever made either by Cartosio or Cucchi on that day).

None of the above claims was confirmed by the Germans (nor by Allied sources), so they have to be considered as unconfirmed claims only.

One C.205 was lost with Ten. Bruno Cartosio KIA. The plane with the pilot body inside crashed in Megliadino S. Fidenzio (Padua). For many years the place was mistaken with Megliadino S. Vitale, only a few miles southward.

On 27 October 2001 the area was excavated and remains of the plane found. http://www.agmenquadratum.net/attivi...peri/pag05.htm

Ferdinando D'Amico
Old 18th October 2011, 04:36

Thanks for your support with the operations of I GC on 14 May, 1944. I found information on the Ali Reggiane website suggesting the claim for (1) P-38 and (1) B-24 again under War Eagles - Comandante Adriano Visconti. Is there any suggestions regarding the discrepancy? Unfortunately, I'm limited due to the language barrier (despite an improved google translate) and my ability to access official records. Thanks again for your support.

Jim
Old 18th October 2011, 07:56

veltro is an unknown quantity at this point

Either the sources credited by Tony Woods and by your last post are carbon copy reports from the same sources which proved inaccurate through the years and cross-check researches.

Having original copy of both the unit's claim list and of the credits acknowledged by the Germans (not to speak of data on losses by the angloamerican units, available through AFHRA and NARA), many of such "claims" can be accounted (or not) for.

Ferdinando D'Amico

Last edited by veltro; 18th October 2011 at 13:45.
Old 18th October 2011, 23:25

Ferdinando, thanks for providing clarity to 14 May, 1944 and research references to support information regarding the ANR and its operations. Take care

Jim