Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 8th September 2018, 09:21
Alter Hase

Snautzer will become famous soon enough
Re: eBay: German intrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Coates View Post
I'm not sure what Michael Meyer would have to gain by selling a fake given his reputation. I believe it's much more likely that the original is of lowish quality.
This one has been on sale before,
Old 8th September 2018, 12:39

Steve Coates will become famous soon enoughSteve Coates will become famous soon enough

Still doesn't mean it's a fake, more likely a duplicate. As I've said before, given the thousands of photos he's sold over the years obtained from former Luftwaffe personnel I just think it would be foolish for him to sully his reputation in this way.

BTW, I don't particularly know him but have bought the odd photo from him.
Old 8th September 2018, 15:12
Alter Hase

#590 3 and 4
38017 (349th BS, 100th BG) damaged by enemy fire during mission to Berlin and crashlanded Schwelsig Airfield Mar 3, 1944. The crew mistakenly thought they had reached Sweden. 10 POW. MACR 3025. Aircraft salvaged by Luftwaffe and operated by KG200, perhaps as A3+GE. Destroyed at Jagel by P-51s (Bauer)
Old 8th September 2018, 15:22

sidney is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Coates View Post
Still doesn't mean it's a fake, more likely a duplicate. As I've said before, given the thousands of photos he's sold over the years obtained from former Luftwaffe personnel I just think it would be foolish for him to sully his reputation in this way.

BTW, I don't particularly know him but have bought the odd photo from him.
Fully agree. I bought a number of photos from Michael Meyer, none of them was fake. It is just that for every photo sold on eBay as an original, there was an untold number of duplicates made for the photographer's' comrades. Simple as that. Sold before on eBay or elsewhere therefore means nothing much really. These are mostly all duplicates of the originals.
Old 8th September 2018, 22:56
Alter Hase

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney View Post
Sold before on eBay or elsewhere therefore means nothing much really. These are mostly all duplicates of the originals.
It does mean a world of difference. I see many pictures that are sold again and again without notation of being a well known copy. It is like selling a car and "forget" to tell it had previous owners. Most of them are contact prints and not original period copy's.

Mr Meyer apparently has a good name according to members here, so for me, that is good enough.
Old 8th September 2018, 22:58
Alter Hase

1. Bf109D training nr 56 Francehttps://www.ebay.de/itm/Foto-Flieger-Flugzeug-Me-109-FW-190-Frankreich-Pilot-aus-Fotoalbum/173521619568?hash=item2866b1ca70:gEsAAOSwHn9bkr0 R
  2. Bf109 Fw190 ar96 training unit France https://www.ebay.de/itm/Foto-Flieger...kAAOSwR7BbksDx
Old 8th September 2018, 23:00

sidney is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snautzer View Post
It does mean a world of difference. I see many pictures that are sold again and again without notation of being a well known copy. It is like selling a car and "forget" to tell it had previous owners. Most of them are contact prints and not original period copy's.

Mr Meyer apparently has a good name according to members here, so for me, that is good enough.
Contemporary duplicates, not copies or contact prints, developed at the same time as the original photos and distributed among the comrades. No difference there whatsoever.
Old 9th September 2018, 13:27
Alter Hase

1. Beobachtungsballon-im-Kessel-von-Smolensk https://www.ebay.de/itm/Beobachtungs...cAAOSwo4pYKhNV
Old 9th September 2018, 13:39

JonOlsen88 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwest2 View Post
Some photos at this site:

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/9-may-1945.39782/

Just keep scrolling down. Most are new to me.
Very nice. Thanks for sharing.
Old 9th September 2018, 21:46
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

You're welcome, Jon.

Ed