Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 26th January 2006, 02:25

drgondog is on a distinguished road
Revising Angels, Bulldogs and Dragons - History of 355th FG in World War II

Would like constructive criticism from those that have read my history of the 355th FG. Here is what I plan to add.
1. about 800 more photos
2. very comprehensive Honor Roll which will detail the pilots lost, the /ac serial number and ID, how and where the loss occurred
3. expanded claims information detailing each claim and the specifc area if known to help other researchers piece/match the LW loss if possible
4. an illustration section in which perhaps 30 P-47's, P51B and P51D's will be shown in side elevation.
5. publish the full database of (now 540) different ships, who was assigned primary and who was flying when it went down.
6. include the 1 SF(Experimental) and 2 SF as they were supplied and maintained by the 355th FG at Steeple Morden.

If I publish it on-line, what format and features would you recommend?

What would you change or add?

Regards,

Bill Marshall
Old 29th January 2006, 19:38

Erich
Thumbs up Re: Revising Angels, Bulldogs and Dragons - History of 355th FG in World War II

Bill :

just noted your comment. Have enjoyed your book for many a year now and also membership as a friend of the 355th fg.

yes enlarge it if you would with pic's of the fg's Mustangs. also operational content with more first person accounts if you would instead of the several sentance format usually found throughout. I am quite interested in the 355th and 2nd SF part in the 26 November 44 mission over Misburg, a huge disaster for the Luftw.'s JG 301 when my cousin in 5./JG 301 was KIA while attacking the US 2nd BD B-24's ~ 445th and 491st bg's.

cheers Erich
Old 29th January 2006, 21:18
Alter Hase

John Manrho will become famous soon enough
Re: Revising Angels, Bulldogs and Dragons - History of 355th FG in World War II

Hello Bill,

I can only support Erich. I have your book for many years too and I would welcome an update. First hand accounts of air combats or other events in the 355th FG would be extemely welcome. Mission reports, combat reports, group histories, etc. will always be available in archives (hopefully) but the first hand accounts and memories can be lost forever. Interview veterans as much as possible (if they agree), record it, and then publish it!

Cheers,

John.
Old 29th January 2006, 22:27
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Bill:

I agree with others, a revised edition would be great.
Old 29th January 2006, 23:24
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

Bill
You have my full support, which is obvious I hope.
I would love to see a list of losses as complete as possible and including all aircraft written off and damaged to various degrees. I know it is the problem with the latter but possibly you are the only person to fill the gap at least partially.
On line format, I think searchable pdf will fit everyone's needs and will make possible a nice printout easier.
Cheers
Old 29th January 2006, 23:34

Guys - I very much appreciate the feedback. There are several 'personal' accounts which I have on file. One of course is the PRO release of the Priest-Marshall rescue of 18 Aug 1944, another is Clay Kinnard's colorful write up of airfield strafing tactics.

I actually have more than a couple of interviews but reluctant to use them as even in 1980 the memories were subject to 'adjustment'..

Two interesting notes for you perhaps. 1. Bud Fortier's Fighter Ace of the 8th is an EXCELLENT first hand look. I helped Bud quite a bit with nailing dates and 'general events'.. and he caught a few 'assumptions' I had made in which I described a mission as 'uneventful' and he vividly remembers being trapped on the deck by multiple 20mm flak batteries that nearly shot him down! 2. Len Deighton's "Goodbye Mickey Mouse has quite a few 355th characters built into the book. He grew up around Steeple Morden and was quite fond of the 355th - Billy Hovde helped him quite a bit in reading and making comments to the drafts.

Erich - how can I help you on 26 November? One interesting fact about that scrap was tha Bill Whalen (2SF) got three of the 5 he got with the 2SF and was, of course the only SF pilot to make ace. One of the 'personal notes' is that Whalen was chasing an FW 190 on the deck and his wingman looked over at him and noticed he was lighting up a cigarette! - then shot the poor guy down. That is how he got his nickname "Gooney Whalen"

Thanks again for your kind remarks. This website has already helped me in several areas of reseach!
Old 3rd February 2006, 19:22

I've thought a lot about first hand comments and pose the following:

weave some of the first hand recollections from pilots like Bud Fortier who recently passed away on settings or moments which were important. For example Bud was leading the 355th at the head of 354FS when they encountered JG300 on 26 November, 1944.

The encounter report which, combined with the film, and Egon Meyer's wingmans' recollection, outline the combat in which he was shot down by Walter Gresham on 2 March, 1944? I'm not sure but think that he was tops in B-17 kills and instrumental in developing company front attacks on 8th AF bombers for the Luftwaffe..

Billy Hovde's combat report in which he led the 358FS alone into a bounce of 70+ FW 190 and BF 109's over Berlin, shooting down 5 and sharing another, while breaking up the attack?

Col Claiborne Kinnard's reflection that he wished the Luftwaffe pilots had chosen to stay on the ground when he tricked them into thinking that he was leading the 355th away from their base in the last air combat of the 355th FG on 21 April, 1945 - expressing the sadness at more killing of young men like himself when the war was over?

Details and first hand narrative of Priest rescue of Marshall on 18 August?

Thank you all for your excellent suggestions.. any more would be welcome.