Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Community > General

General Please use this forum to post feedback, suggestions and problems relating to 12oclockhigh.net

View Poll Results: New system for book forum(s)
Yes, I like it 17 80.95%
No, I don't like it 1 4.76%
Indifferent 3 14.29%
Other (please post) 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5th October 2005, 23:50

Richard T. Eger is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: New forum idea for books

Dear Ruy,

I faced this same organizational problem when I created the "References & Reference Materials" forum on LWAG which, as you know, is primarily transfers in from TOCH!.

Organizing book topics under major groupings I found to be virtually impossible. For instance, where would you put Manfred Boehme's book JG 7? It's about a Luftwaffe unit, so it could be put under a section on units or operations. But, it is also a book about the Me 262, so it could just as well fall under books on aircraft types. Making matters worse, think of books on Walter Nowotny, which could be sorted by pilot, unit, and aircraft.

Further complicating matters is that, in the discussion on almost any topic, there can be references to one or more books. Quite frequently, there is a great surprise that a book on "X" contains information on "Y" and it is only that someone familiar with this fact shares it with us. So, a book might actually be referenced yet a fourth way, by some gem buried deep inside.

Up until the change in TOCH! format, I was hand laboring to try to disperse the commentaries into LWAG, frequently doing multiple entries, although, at the end, I tended to pick the one I thought most germaine and then entered directors to this thread under the other possible subjects.

In the end, what truly was needed was a search engine that could search for entries like JG 7, i.e., something less than 4 continuous characters. The phpBB2 software of LWAG is not so equipped, a real drawback forcing folks to laboriously search page after page of index if a unit is sought after. Pilots' names are much easier to search for and, in the end, it is the search engine, rather than a title, author, or subject grouping that bails you out. Being one who likes organization, this is a huge mental shift.

One of the real strengths of TOCH! is the commentary on a specific book. People want to know whether it is worth shelling out a large sum of money for a new book. TOCH! members are pretty mercilous in their reviews, canning bad books, but also praising good ones. Sometimes the comments are fair, sometimes not. It is for the eventual purchaser to decide, much as reading movie reviews and considering whether the subject content is still of sufficient interest in the face of a bad review to be worth the price of admission.

There can also be disagreement as to whether material contained in a book is factual or not. These disagreements have led to some classic flame wars. But, cutting through the flames, being aware that there are disagreements is to the good. Taking everything in a book as factual can be a huge mistake. So, commentary pro and con is most welcome.

And, one last word. Look for references. A book with good references can be worth its weight in gold. It also helps to buttress what the author has to say. However, even with references, one has to be rather careful as to what they are and the general subject matter the author is trying to support. If, for instance, the book covers a topic attempting to cross into the Twilight Zone and the references are predominantly secondary sources or unrelated to the thesis being proposed, then the reader should be extremely cautious, if not downright skeptical. Just because an author puts a reference after a particularly unusual assertion doesn't necessarily say that the reference supports the assertion. It may, in fact, support a very non-important element within his text, rather than the point he is trying to make. Generally, the tenor of a book provides the best clues as to whether one is drifting off into la-la land.

Regards,
Richard
Old 7th October 2005, 21:23

Dear Ruy,

I should comment that one potential way out of the organizational morasse is to simply list the books alphabetically. Hopefully, the search engine can then find all the books that pertain to a particular subject.

What would be helpful is a summary and critique of each book, as well as the diverse views of the membership as to what they think about it. Unfortunately, the publisher's write-ups on websites like Amazon.com are going to be lauditory, regardless of the inherent quality, but at least they may give a clue as to the content.

While the above would be helpful, the questions are who would do this and how to do it? A few kind souls have taken the trouble to summarize books. Setting up a venue for the purpose may act to encourage more. But, how would this differ from the book and magazine section that already exists?

We're also more likely to get views on new books rather than old ones, which means that a whole world of good books would likely be overlooked.

Unlikely to be included in the book area would be quotes used in arguments on different subjects. I don't really see a way to incorporate them, except via the search engine.

Regards,
Richard
Old 7th October 2005, 22:46
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation

Lets not get carried away, the idea is not an all inclusive booklist.

What I am offering is a means of communication on this forum to those authors and publishers who wish to make use of this medium. The idea is pretty modest in scope, offering an improved service to what is already offered to those who are interested.

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 9th October 2005, 15:52

Dear Ruy,

So, the obvious question is: "How would it differ from the forum already set up for the purpose?"

Perhaps you were trying to figure out a way to consolidate book reviews that appear in other forums. If so, alas, it is up to you to move them and, hopefully, the membership will catch on as to where they should be posted in the first place.

Regards,
Richard
Old 10th October 2005, 20:05
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation

Since John Manrho was so kind to volunteer, I've set up a special sub-forum for his book Bodenplatte

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=16

The sub-forum is still awaiting John's input.

I can set up similar sub-forums to those who are interested.

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 11th October 2005, 18:07
Alter Hase

John Manrho will become famous soon enough

Ruy,

I am on a business trip till the end of the week, so I will try to put some info in the forum next weekend!

Thanks,

John.