Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 9th July 2009, 00:22
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Geschwader and Gruppe Stab emblems for KG76 in 1939-40

Hello,

Now that we've worked out the correct emblems carried by all 9 Staffel of KG76 for this period, I'm trying to work out the Gescwader and Gruppen Stab badges.

A Geschwader badge used for a short time, probably only in 1940, and possibly only during the BoB, is published with this description in "Luftwaffe Emblems 1939-1945 by Ketley and Rolfe (Hikoki Publicatins), item #347, “Stab/KG76: A black owl with eyes like dartboards standing on a map of Britain and a bundel of Lightning bolts. Unit formed in May 1939 from KG158. Emblem used only briefly until late 1940. Do17Z."

An excellent photo of F1+BA, showing the owl emblem, was auctioned on eBay on Feb 2, 2008, but unfortunately I didn't capture the winner nor the pricing info. Did anyone save this info, or know where I can get a better copy of this image?

In the EOE DB, we have four excellent photos of the rear of F1+AA. the Gesch Kde’s a/c, with tail damage, probably by flak, that were most likely taken during the WC. The above described emblem seems to be oriented around the BoB, and thus this may not have been carried by that a/c.

Does anyone know if the "Owl" emblem was carried during the WC, and thus may have been on the Gesch Kde's damaged a/c? This Do17Z carried a very unusual, multi-colored rear fuselage band that I've not previously seen before.

Any help with photos, or info, especially photos of damaged or crashed a/c from any of the KG76 Stab a/c or those of the three Gruppen would be most welcome. I note that Ketley and Rolfe show an insignia for III./KG76. Does anyone know of any photo examples of that insignia on FL or crashed a/c?

Thanks in advance for any assistance provided.

Regards,
Old 11th July 2009, 19:32

obdl3945 is on a distinguished road
Re: Geschwader and Gruppe Stab emblems for KG76 in 1939-40

Larry...

You mention III.KG76's emblem from Rolfe & Ketley's publication. The description of that emblem, no.352 on page 55, states it was introduced in the winter of 1942-43. A picture of it and be seen in the excellent Airdoc No2 title, Junkers Ju88A/D by Henry Hoppe, at the bottom of page 28.

You are also looking for othe KG76 badges. If you haven't already seen it, you may the attached of interest, as it seems to show badge no.346 from 'Rolfe & Ketley', KG76 'Florian Geyer'. This was apparently used between 1939 & 1941, and I believe this pic comes from an e-bay selection of long ago.

Regards...

Paul

Last edited by obdl3945; 22nd May 2011 at 00:22.