Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 18th April 2011, 18:25

AMC is on a distinguished road
"Strawberry Bitch"

In the course of browsing over the Ploesti (August 1st) raid I have come across a conflicting issue regarding "Strawberry Bitch".
A few sources (the blurb in the Corgi B24 model. The Osprey "B24 Units Of The 15th Air Force, which gives the serial number as 42-72842 !) puts the SB at the August 1st raid.
On the other hand, "Ploesti" Hill, " The Ploesti Raid" Freeman and " The Liberandos" Walker, make no mention of SB 42-72843 (the correct number) as having been on the raid.....
Lastly I remember reading in "Log Of The Liberators" Birdsall! that SB arrived later in the year to the 376th. I am open to correction here as I do not have the book any longer.
Anyone out there with the correct answer...........
Old 19th April 2011, 02:04
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road
Re: "Strawberry Bitch"

Hello,

Have you tried the B24 Best Web forum ? They may be able to give a full answer.
Also this from the 376th Bomb Group website.
http://www.376hbgva.com/memoirs/rice.html
Hope this helps
All the best
Alex
Old 19th April 2011, 10:47

AMC is on a distinguished road
Re: "Strawberry Bitch"

Many thanks for that information, and as I suspected, it would seem indeed that "Strawberry Bitch" did not take part in the August 1st raid..
As an aside I am beginning to wonder about the OSPREY Combat Aircraft series for accuracy, and although I rather like them, some would appear to have accuracy issues. For instance along with putting the "Strawberry Bitch" at Ploesti, the " Us Navy And Marine Corps A4 Skyhawk Units Of The Vietnam War" has the Estocin A4 with an "Avionics Hump" wheras the aircraft in fact did not have one........