Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 9th December 2009, 23:28

malcolmjameswilson is on a distinguished road
3 AIRCRAFT MU – Help Needed.

Can any Forum member help me with details regarding "3 Aircraft MU" that possibly operated in North Africa during 1942.

I am unable to find it listed in my copy of "Flying Units of the RAF" by Alan Lake. Could be the new glasses are just not settled in yet!

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Old 11th December 2009, 17:04
Alter Hase

Larry is on a distinguished road
Re: 3 AIRCRAFT MU – Help Needed.

Malcolm,

It could be No 3 Air Stores Park?

It originally formed 25.11.1935 at Mersa Matruh. Although it reformed in France 9.12.1939 and disbanded at RAF Halton 31.5.1940 - it later reformed in the Middle East on 15.6.1942 - but I cannot find out where!

I hope this helps!!

Info from Ar Britain's RAF Flying Training and Support Units book

Last edited by Larry; 11th December 2009 at 17:20. Reason: Sources
Old 11th December 2009, 23:09

Hello Larry,

Thank you for the reply and – this could well be the unit.

My interest relates to F/O S. E. Andrews DFM who was killed on 9th August 1942 and is buried in Ismailia War Memorial Cemetery. As yet I am unable to find any further details.

Also I have a note that he was "shot down" by a BF109 on 29 December 1941 serving with 605 Squadron out of Malta. Any leads?

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Old 30th December 2009, 00:16
Alter Hase

Is this any help or do you know this already if you are you the seller of his DFM!!!!

Description: World War II, an early D.F.M. for action in the days prior to the evacuation from Dunkirk, to Sgt. (Pilot) Sydney Ernest Andrews, who also flew in the Battle of Britain and was killed in North Africa; Distinguished Flying Medal (580319 Sgt. S. E. Andrews. R.A.F.). Extremely fine.

Flying a Fairey Battle, he and his two crew members (N. J. Ingram - Air Observer and H. R. Figg - Wireless Operator and Air Gunner, later Flying Officer, awarded D.F.C. with 161 squadron [R.A.F. Special Duties]) each received a D.F.M., London Gazette 5th November, 1940. "These airmen have been together as an aircraft crew since the outbreak of war. By mutual trust and co-operation in their duties, they have produced a really first-class team which can be relied upon to complete any air operation allotted to them. Since 10th may 1940, this crew has flown in one day and eight night operations against the enemy, sometimes in very difficult weather conditions. On each occasion, the target was located and attacked and valuable reconnaissance information obtained. I consider that the fine service rendered by each of these airmen is most worthy of reward". Sgt. Sydney Ernest Andrews, later Pilot Officer, was the third (second surviving) son of Ernest Edward Andrews (see previous lot). He flew with 150, 32 and 257 Squadrons and was eligible for the Battle of Britain Clasp to the 1939-1945 Star. He was killed in Egypt, in a flying accident on the 9th August, 1942 and is buried in the War Memorial Cemetery at Ismailia. His widow Freda (nee Woodford) subsequently married an Argentinian diplomat and moved to Buenos Aires.

Source

http://www.artfact.com/auction-lot/w...1-c-e04159f38c
Old 7th January 2010, 16:38
Alter Hase

Was this of use?
Old 6th December 2011, 17:40

Hello Larry,

A belated 'thank you' for the information supplied. I apologise for not having sent one sooner, but for some reason I forgot all about this post until I came across it today when writing up my notes.

One again, many thanks.

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Old 7th December 2011, 16:52

Henk Welting is on a distinguished road

Gents,
F/O Sydney E. ANDREWS - DFM - 44567 (580319) was with # 3 ARU (Aircraft Repair Unit). Had engine fail of his Tomahawk IIB serial AM399 and hit building on landing Moascar, Egypt.
Regards,
Henk.
Old 7th December 2011, 20:22

Hello Henk,

Many thanks for your help in this matter.
I will now be able to have the AIR29 file located and details copied!

I am very grateful to you.

Kind regards, Malcolm.