Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East

Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East Please use this forum to discuss the Air War in the Far East.

Old 19th February 2020, 05:50

NickM
A question RE: Richard Bong:

Gang,

I was thumbing thru this new book at Barnes and Noble:
https://www.amazon.com/Race-Aces-Air...QVWYZZ4DKEKEGY

RE: the leading aces in SoPac: Bong, McGuire, Kearby, Johnson & McDonald.

I came across a couple of factoids that I hope somebody can elaborate on: Bong had lost a couple of wingmen in combat and it badly affected him-so much so he asked to be allowed to fly alone so he wouldn't have other men's lives in his hands-anybody got details as to the men and their loss?
Also
Another story had Bong being led in a two man strafing mission by another pilot--both got hit by flak and the other guy was killed but Bong staggered back. The loss of the other pilot resulted in a LOT of ill will toward Bong that persisted well into the post war present. Again, any details of the incident and the other pilot is welcome.
(EDIT: I did a bit of research and learned the other pilot leading that mission was Tommy Lynch.)

Thanks ahead of time.

Last edited by NickM; 19th February 2020 at 16:38.
Old 19th February 2020, 10:01

Alfred.MONZAT will become famous soon enough
Re: A question RE: Richard Bong:

I don't understand your query, the book provide these details .
Old 19th February 2020, 14:16
Alter Hase

Col Bruggy will become famous soon enough

Hello,

Suggest you have a word with the author:

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=55113

Your link to the book is non-functional.

Col.
Old 19th February 2020, 16:40

NickM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Bruggy View Post
Hello,

Suggest you have a word with the author:

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=55113

Your link to the book is non-functional.

Col.

Fixed the linky--I JUST noticed.
Old 19th February 2020, 16:40

NickM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred.MONZAT View Post
I don't understand your query, the book provide these details .

Simple: why were squad mates angry at Bong for Lynch's death--it's a piece of Lore I had never heard before;
And I know next to nothing about Bong's career, so I had no info RE: his dead wingmen and who, what, when, how.
Old 20th February 2020, 19:25

Edward is on a distinguished road

Tommy Lynch was a very popular officer as well as successful P-38 pilot from the 39th Fighter Squadron. He had flown combat missions over New Guinea since mid-May 1942. He was part of the team who first began flying the P-38 Lightning during the Buna campaign in November & December 1942. He later served as Squadron Commander in 1943. Tommy Lynch was revered by the men of his Squadron and was regarded as a hero back in the U.S.. He went out on that final mission with Dick Bong on 9 March 1944 and did not come home. Bong lived and returned to base while Lynch died. Regardless of what actually happened many of the men of V Fighter Command and especially those of the 39th Squadron had lost a hero and resented Bong.
Old 20th February 2020, 23:59

NickM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
Tommy Lynch was a very popular officer as well as successful P-38 pilot from the 39th Fighter Squadron. He had flown combat missions over New Guinea since mid-May 1942. He was part of the team who first began flying the P-38 Lightning during the Buna campaign in November & December 1942. He later served as Squadron Commander in 1943. Tommy Lynch was revered by the men of his Squadron and was regarded as a hero back in the U.S.. He went out on that final mission with Dick Bong on 9 March 1944 and did not come home. Bong lived and returned to base while Lynch died. Regardless of what actually happened many of the men of V Fighter Command and especially those of the 39th Squadron had lost a hero and resented Bong.

Thanks; that's the sort of stuff I never read about as a kid during the late 1960s and 1970s before my interest switched to the Jagdwaffe.

I had a similar experience on Youtube with somebody talking about P47s; we had a misunderstanding and he blocked me, but I learned that the 4th FG had some real performance and leadership issues as well as issues with the P47. I had never heard that about these issues before but sadly I shall probably never learn more due to this 'rupture'.