Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 5th April 2020, 03:17

Mark VIII is on a distinguished road
W,Nr. Identity

The photo I intend to post was taken at Braunschweig Airfield, Germany, at the end of the war. The aircraft in the foreground is 739641, The aircraft behind has no readable production number though a report of enemy material would have the production number of this aircraft. Does anyone know what the aircraft number was? I appreciate your help.

Thank You.

Last edited by Mark VIII; 6th April 2020 at 02:39. Reason: No photos
Old 5th April 2020, 08:38
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: W,Nr. Identity

Quote:
I cannot figure out how to put the image on the post? Why does it have to have an Internet site address? The instructions indicate an (Advanced message editor). This I do not find anywhere.
Go to a thread. Hit the “reply” button and a window opens for you to type in.

If you see two rows of toolbars at the top, good. If you don’t hit “go advanced” at the foot of the window. Then the second tool bar appears.

In the uppermost tool bar, hit the paperclip icon (just over halfway along from the left) and you’ll get a pop up window. The top part of that window has buttons saying “choose file”. Use one or more of these if the image(s) are on your own computer. The lower part has boxes for pasting a URL: use these if the images you want are on the internet.

When you’ve selected your images, hit the “upload” button and you’ll get a massage “uploading please wait”, when that’s finished, close the pop-up.
Old 5th April 2020, 15:35
Alter Hase

Jim P. will become famous soon enough

739641 is probably the WNr. for an FW 190A-8.
Old 5th April 2020, 17:45

S Sheflin will become famous soon enough

Hello Mark, Nick and Jim,
Fw 190 A-8, WNr. 739641, was one of three (and possibly four) AGO-built fighters that flew in to surrender at Fl.Horst Braunschweig-Waggum, Germany (coordinates 52.319167 10.556667) on 45/05/08.
Respectfully,
Steve Sheflin
Old 6th April 2020, 00:49

Thank you Nick. I was not getting the attachment icon to appear. I had to open this site with a different browser, then it was duck soup! Thanks for giving me the idea the brouser may have been at fault.
Old 6th April 2020, 00:56

Here is another view of the same aircraft. I am pretty sure it is the same aircraft. Trust me.
Old 6th April 2020, 01:11

Hello Nick. I have something for your eyes to see only. Is there a Email address I can send an attachment to. Don't worry its Luftwaffe related. This is a coincidence as my friend did not have your Email. It has been so long since I did this I forgot how to send this message off the discussion panel. Sorry. Sincerely.
Old 6th April 2020, 01:13

Yes Jim you are right, but look at the photo I uploaded successfully and give it your best try!
Old 6th April 2020, 01:17

Hi Steve. How are you. You said three or four FW 190s? Do you know anything more about them? I have uploaded the photos of the aircraft in question, so you can add comments with real sight. Sorry for the delay, it was the browser I used that would not let me upload the images.
Old 6th April 2020, 02:04
Alter Hase

Jim P. will become famous soon enough

Sorry, I don't currently have that particular machine in my database. Figuring out the type was easy enough though, based on other entries in that WNr. range I do have.

Are the WNr. known for the other 2-3 Fw 190s that flew into Braunschweig-Waggum? And the circumstances that caused them to land there (other than the end of the war)?