Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 5th November 2021, 10:05

rob van den nieuwendijk
Career in a Jagdgeschwader

Hello all,

I figure that the standard career of a Jagdflieger is like this: Rottenflieger, Rottenführer, Schwarmmeister, Staffelführer (stellvert Staffelkapitän), Staffelkapitän, Gruppenkommandeur, Kommodore - all based upon experience and achievements (victories). For simplicity I leave out the staff positions.

1) Who decides when a Jagdflieger is ready for the next career step? For Rottenflieger to Rottenführer I gather it are the fellow Staffelmembers and the Staffelkapitän and perhaps the Gruppenkommandeur. But getting higher who decides for the next level?

2) If a Staffelkapitän did not return a new Staffelkapitän is always appointed very fast afterwards. By whom is the new Staffelkapitän appointed?

3) And when a Gruppenkommandeur did not return, who appointed the new Gruppenkommandeur? Any role from Luftwaffe Personalamt (LP) in Berlin and/or Inspekteur der Jagdflieger?

4) For various reasons Jagdflieger were transferred to other JG's. Like Wolf Ettel of 4./JG 3 was appointed Gruppenkommandeur of IV./JG 27 - who had a role in this? How did they match Ettel for this position? Was there some kind of overall "supply and demand", coordinated by?

Looking forward to any reaction.

Best regards,
Rob