Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 13th April 2011, 00:33
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Looking ID of these photos of downed 142 SQ Battles during the WC

Hello,

Carrying over from another post on questions about 103 SQ Battle losses, here is the list of photos we have in the EOE DB relating to 142 SQ Battle loss, but which we cannot match to SN or circumstances. Who can help?

Battle L5443. Belly-landed details not recorded. Aircraft QT*B a write-off. (Photo)
Battle. Belly-landed details not recorded. Aircraft QT*C a write-off. (Photos)
Battle. Belly-landed [at Audembert?] details not recorded. Aircraft QT*D a write-off. (Photos) (L5502, see post below)
Battle. Abandoned [at Reims?]. Aircraft QT*D a write-off. (Photo)
Battle. Abandoned. Aircraft QT*F a write-off. (Photo)
Battle. Abandoned [Berry-au-Bac?]. Aircraft QT*H a write-off. (Photos)
Battle. Belly-landed details not recorded. Aircraft QT*H a write-off. (Photos)
Battle. Belly-landed details not recorded. Aircraft QT*L a write-off. (Photos)
Battle. Belly-landed on beach details not recorded. Aircraft QT*L a write-off. (Photo)

I note that one of the photos of QToH, possibly at Berry-au-Bac, has the info that it was taken at "Le Mans." There may well have been two different a/c that carried this code, as there apparently also was for QToL. The accuracy of this info is unknown.

Regards,

Last edited by Larry Hickey; 13th April 2011 at 06:35. Reason: more info
Old 13th April 2011, 06:34
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: Looking ID of these photos of downed 142 SQ Battles during the WC

Hello,

Photos of QToD with Audembert handwritten on the back and it's wing through a hedge confirm this SN as L5502. Still need confirmation of place, date and crew for this FL.

Regards,
Old 13th April 2011, 10:48

Peter Cornwell is on a distinguished road

Before Larry undermines what is left of my tattered reputation, I should explain that he is working from my summary of No.142 Squadron losses compiled for the campaign in France alone. As a result, he is looking down the wrong end of the telescope and the loss of L5502 on the night of 28/29 July 1940 (involving a namesake of mine just to add to the embarrassment) is 'beyond his ken'. Slow down to a headlong gallop Larry - we'll get there faster.
Old 13th April 2011, 14:21
Alter Hase

paulmcmillan

For QToD See my posting in Info on 103 Fairey Battle losses on the continent during mid-May, 1940

Maybe a poission rouge
Old 14th April 2011, 21:09
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Hello,

For those interested in photos of the 142 SQ Battle loss photos of QToD, L5502, down on 29.07.40, two of them, including a readable SN can be found in the French Government ECPA archive in the Paris suburb of Fort D'Ivry; Luftwaffe Collection: ECPA #DAA 709 L24 and ECPA #DAA 709 L25.

Copies of these can be ordered at a reasonable charge directly from them.

Regards,

Last edited by Larry Hickey; 15th April 2011 at 22:40. Reason: accuracy
Old 18th April 2011, 07:52
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Hello,

I'm trying to investigate a report that 142 SQ Battle K9333 that was shot down on May 14, 1940, was coded QToL. One source that has investigated this believes that the plane FL at Saint-Loup-Terrier, France, and that, according to the 142 SQ ORB, the crew was later picked up by car about 16 miles away at Ecly, west of Rethel. The crew was Pilot Officer H. L. Oakley, who was slightly injured, Sergeant Martin, and A.C. Preston. This seems like quite a distance over less than direct road connections to be credible, but it could have been possible.

I know that it is a real long shot, but is there any source explaining the SD and rescue of this crew? Perhaps one of the crewman later recounted his experiences, which have been preserved?

Can anybody help?

Regards,
Old 20th April 2011, 20:38

G-ASEA is on a distinguished road

Battle QT-F L5476 abandoned at No21 aircraft depot Nantes/Chateau Bougen Aerodrome. Along with many other Battles.

Dave
Old 20th April 2011, 22:04

G-ASEA is on a distinguished road

After looking in the Battle flie book it say's L5476 went to canada? The serial number is smaller than the 105sdn Battle GB-X next to it (P2190). I will need to look at my photos in day light! the squdron codes are only on the left hand side of the aircraft, only F on the right. The other side of the 105 Battle is P5238, Which is a 142 aircraft no squdron makings or code letters.

Dave
Old 21st April 2011, 00:19

Martin Gleeson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dave,

I have seen four different E-Bay photos of this 'F' in the scrapyard, but had not noticed the'QT' code on the other side until you pointed it out.
The most recent one on E-Bay had a partially readable serial number. It looks like L5436 or possibly L5430 to me. The former would be a great fit if someone had a better image of it to put the matter beyond doubt.
Any thoughts ?

Regards,

Martin.
Old 21st April 2011, 06:21
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Hello,

Good discussion here. Regarding the last one on my list that leads this thread, we've located about 5 photos of this Battle, QToL, down on a Channel beach, very likely in France. There were two Fairey Battle losses in a raid on Boulogne, France, on 23 August 1940. One is believed to have gone into the sea, but the other could have been the a/c we're looking for. Can anyone confirm that 142 SQ had one of their Battles make a FL on a beach near Boulogne on 22 or 23 August? This would clear up one of these photo mysteries, if we can establish this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,