Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 12th November 2017, 01:12
Alter Hase

Snautzer will become famous soon enough
Re: A.T.G.

As Ed said, a temp order. 37 being a part of the big expansion. Normal orders would have been going on to said 44 i think. Tooling up and having the materials on stock is a very big , mayor step. No sence in a minor run for such a common airframe. Even for Germany
Old 12th November 2017, 01:19
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road

Here I think helpers might be overshooting slightly: original query was about "Kolleda Fliegerhorst, Industriehafen, Luftpark and Luftzeugamt"
(i.e. Airstation Kölleda airport and its activitoes, not ATG as a whole) But true is ATG used that as sattelite airfield in the last year or so.

Also: document Snautzer shows is American document, part of USSBS survey
reports but it has to be taken with some reserve.

I think only some ATG recce Ju 188 / 388 were handled and assembled there (NOT BUILT THERE), as part of Recce training was there (II/Erg.Aufkl.G)
but other ATG 188 and 388 were also handled at Leipzig, Schkauditz, Altenburg etc.. but all produced and assembled elsewhere.

Ed

Last edited by edNorth; 12th November 2017 at 01:52. Reason: adding; typos
Old 13th November 2017, 15:05

Fides Germania is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Thank you to both "Snautzer" and "edwest2" for info on ATG.
Snautzer, unfortunatly your photos wont open on my computer. Could you try sending in another format, say Adobe reader or copy onto a Word document.
I can't wait to get them.
Thanks again, the beers are in the fridge or some good Australian white wine.
Rob

Thanks Snautzer,
I finaly was able to open those links, great stuff. Is there more in that (Allied) document about Kolleda as a Industriehafen, rather than just a test field. A lot of other sources indicate that Kolleda produced/assembled and stored aircraft.
Also, does the Allied Strategic Bombing Survey booklet on ATG, dated Jan 1947, contain any references to Kolleda other than you have already provided.
Thanks in advance
I can see that you are a serious researcher,
Robert

Fides Germania. Thanks
Rob

Hi Rasmussen,
was that from Kolleda?
Thanks
Rob
Fides Germania.

My thanks to Snautzer, edNorth and Rasmussen,
for taking on this prickly subject.
Other places in Greater Germany that I have tried to archaeologically research using Internet, Forums, Google Earth and real books (made out of paper, glue and ink!) have not been so challenging as Fliegerhorst Kolleda.
A Luftzeugamt should be attached to a wartime Stafflen or Fleet and send trains of spares etc to the forward airfields. But, we can't find any reference to Kolleda?
A.T.G. operated a factory there, but the information is very scarce, contradictory and indefinite.
Some sources say that it was just a pre delivery test field, others have it manufacturing a couple of different Junkers plus FW190's.
We read that Kolleda had 112 buildings, looking at the space available, they must have run a tight ship, plus room for an airstrip!
A source states that the rail encircled the base, but the Google image and the layout out of existing tracks and remains of those removed still don't confirm this statement.
There are other minor points, like why is the Airfields train stop so far away!
But, what would be great is a period areal photo of the airfield to answer some of these questions.
regards
Rob
Old 28th March 2018, 23:59

Martin388 is on a distinguished road

Let me confirm, at Kölleda no Ju388s were built, however several (late WNr) Ju388 L-1 (from the production at Leipzig-Mockau/Altenburg; Einflug) were destroyed there, which is proven by evidence photos from Köllede and the end of hostilities.

I have to correct the statement that ATG produced Me 262 parts.
By evidence documents ATG switched to part production of Ta152 but did not succeed in any assembly of such aircraft.

Source: Junkers Ju388 Vernaleken/Handig, Aviatic Verlag 2003 or the translation by Schiffer
Old 29th March 2018, 00:16
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road

I have also looked at surviving ATG records, quite extentive on the internal affairs, have some logbooks too of ATG "Einflug"s (Baltabol & others)
and in fact "I know" too, just wrote "I think" as understatement, but you may have misunderstood that understatement! If not, very good.

Last edited by edNorth; 29th March 2018 at 01:52.
Old 4th April 2018, 01:09

Martin388 is on a distinguished road

Having revisited my book als well aus ATG documents I have to add/correct my earlier statement here.
ATG started in Jan.45 to send 188/388 parts (starting with ten Ju188 fuselages) to their department at Kölleda for subsequent assembly.
Old 4th April 2018, 03:00
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

Thank you for this additional information.

Ed

Tags
atg, industriehafe, kolleda