Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 30th March 2009, 22:17

lmg1972 is on a distinguished road
Luftwaffe crash site Newcastleton scotland

Hi Guys I am new here so I would like to say hi to everyone and ask if any of you can help?Today I got a pair of German flying boots that the Grandson of a special constable(wartime) has sold me.The little information he thinks is right is that the plane came down near the farm of Kirdean near Newcastleton Scotland date unknown.Sorry not much to go on but any help would be great!
Old 1st April 2009, 19:53

David Brown
Re: Luftwaffe crash site Newcastleton scotland

Hi 1972:

To establish the timeline of downed German aircraft, you might want to consider the following:

1. Local newspapers for the 1939 - 1945 period;
2. Talking to local residents who lived in the area during the war years;
3. Referencing the archives (eg. police reports) of any local county museums.

Posting a picture of the boots plus any additional information (eg. special markings, manufacturer) may help the members in determining the history of the footwear.

Good luck
Old 2nd April 2009, 00:58

HI Dave, Thanks for helping out as I was thinking that I may well have a hard job.Anyway I have a bit more info from the owner,The plane some sort of bomber crashed on a place in the village called Boghall hill in late May 1941 and two crew bailed out and were taken pow.I hope this may help??
Old 2nd April 2009, 04:02

obdl3945 is on a distinguished road

Hi...

Is Boghall near Bishopton (Renfrewshire?) ?

The reason I ask is because I put some information into Google, including 'Boghall', and the one thing it threw out was a report by BAE Systems Environmental, Preliminary Risk Assessment for Land Contamination, Bishopton, which refers to the old munitions factory at Bishopton. It would make sense that the Luftwaffe would target such a facility. The report is 69 pages long, and for some reason I can't easily cut and paste, so the undernoted is an extract from same, page 42:

" 6.15.19 German air-dropped unexploded ordnance: Although there is evidence of aerial reconnaissance being carried out by Germany in the early years of WW2, the new factory escaped the heaviest bombing in the region that occurred in November 1940 and between March and May 1941.

A number of minor isolated raids affected villages and towns surrounding the Site, including Renfrew, Kilmacolm and Houston, and ICI's factory at Ardeer was badly damaged during bombing in July 1940.

The Site was affected by one such raid in October 1940. Six bombs were reported, all unexploded and subsequently dealt with by bomb disposal squads. Three 250kg High Explosive (HE) bombs were recovered from craters of between 2.5 and 5.5 metre depth. One unexploded HE fell on a building and caused minor damage. Two 250kg unexploded incendiary bombs also fell on o pen ground and failed to ignite. The exact locations of the bombs was not recorded.

The nearest other raid involved the dropping of 2 No. HEs on Halton (or Hatton) Farm to the north-west of Bishopton village.

Given that you're looking into an incident in 1941, might it be that the aircraft that came down was perhaps involved in the March to May 1941 operations? If memory serves me, the Clydeside Blitz was underway at that time, and it may be worthwhile for you, as has been suggested, to contact the local newspaper offices, and enquire about headlines and articles during those two months that could help you narrow down your field of enquiry. I'm not sure if any of the Glasgow newpapers would have carried the story... depends on how much interest it may have generated at the time, I suppose. The Clydeside Blitz, however, would have been covered, so that may be a good starting point.

Regards...

Paul
Old 2nd April 2009, 10:39
Alter Hase

Brian Bines is on a distinguished road

Would it be JU88A1 VB+KM w.n. 615 of 2(F)/Ob.d. L which was shot down at 1430hrs by F/L DuVivier in a Hurrcane of 43 Sqd at 1430hrs. on 28th May 1941. Ff Uffz Herbert Niepol and Bf Uffz Josef Lindorfer baled out POW and B Ltn Fritz Gortan and Bs gef Heinrich Matthias killed. Crashed at Boghall Hill ,Riccarton, Kilmarnock.
NB old note so sorry if any spellings wrong.

Regards

Brian Bines
Old 2nd April 2009, 20:08

Many thanks for your help and getting back to the owner you have hit the nail on the head Brian,thats the one.Now all I have to find out what one of the two guys who bailed out had his boots taken off him?I have the local news paper number so I am going to give them a call but does anyone know how I might find out more?Thanks for this it really bringing the items to life for me,all the best Liam.
Old 2nd April 2009, 20:53
Alter Hase

Liam, The Public Records Office at Kew would hold various reports such as the RAF combat report (in AIR50), a crash report (possibly AIR40/45) plus a interrogation ADI(K) report from the POWs (AIR40/2405 for May to June 1941). Sometimes the local history section of the main Library for the area may hold police, or civil defence records. Police reports where they survive can provide a lot of info. on crashes in an area,

Regards

Brian Bines
Old 2nd April 2009, 21:20

Thanks Brian that is very good advice. I will get onto it and let you all know what I find out,thanks again Liam.
Old 3rd April 2009, 10:28
Alter Hase

Andreas Brekken is on a distinguished road

Hi.

http://www.ahs.no/ref_db/lw_loss_pub...?lossid=126896

Regards,
Andreas B
Old 3rd April 2009, 10:49
Alter Hase

Liam, the only other thing I can think of is that the crash was in an article in a publication I think called Wreck Review issue 26 (circa 1970's or 80's). I do not have a copy perhaps someone else might be able to help on this. Being in the magazine suggests that the site might have been investigated are there any local research groups/museums in the area?

Regards

Brian

Last edited by Brian Bines; 3rd April 2009 at 16:49.