Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Closed Thread

Old 12th November 2005, 15:38

Pawel Burchard is on a distinguished road
Interesting photograph of He 111 Sep-1939

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...romZR40QQfviZ1

Among others there are two photos (from album of 3. Pz.Division soldier, presumably from Sep-1939) depicting He 111P of 2./K.G. 54 (B3+KK) after harsh landing.

Regards,
Pawel
Old 12th November 2005, 17:55

Marius is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting photograph of He 111 Sep-1939

Look in my book "Kampfflieger" under 15.9.1939, I./KG 27.

Many regards,
Marius
Old 12th November 2005, 18:11
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Dear Marius

Obviously you assume everybody on this site has your book.
Unfortunately I don't. Even worse I don't even know which book you are talking about! So could you please enlighten us (or perhaps only me?) a bit more??

Thanks and B Rgds
Stig Jarlevik
Old 12th November 2005, 18:12

Pawel Burchard is on a distinguished road

Marius, do you mean belly landing near Brest (30%)?

Regards,
Pawel
Old 12th November 2005, 19:38

Pawel.
yes, near Brest 30%, 2./KG 54 flew together within the I./KG 27.

Stig Jarlevik,
sorry, I mean my book that was published in Poland in April 2005 (Luftwaffe nad Polska cz.2 Kampfflieger, Armagedon).

Marius
Old 12th November 2005, 20:32
Alter Hase

Thanks Marius
No wonder I haven't seen it before!!!

Yourt answer brings up a rather pertinent problem.
Why are there no books about the Polish (Air) Campaign in English?
(I DON'T mean mentioning in general books, but a dedicated book to the campaign). Are there any in German?

Browsing past topics we seem to get more or less personal vendettas between highly agitated persons every time this campaign enters the picture.

One thing is clear, if these two Nations keep on treating this campaign as a personal history and nothing else, in the end everyone not Polish (or German speaking) will loose interest. What is even more strange is the abundance of books published in Poland in dual language of just about everything EXCEPT the Polish campaign itself. So why not publish a really good book in dual language (day by day with targets, known victories and losses) of that crucial month in 1939 including the Soviets stab in the back and the final escape of all those Polish aircraft abroad! After all WW 2 started here and it certainly has a place in both standard history books and on our own Aviation shelf!!

Cheers
Stig
Old 12th November 2005, 21:46
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

Stig
The reason is very simple - there must be a publisher, but it seems it is not a subject that will draw an attention of audience.
Apart of that, the campaign is still being researched. There are still major gaps in the history of Polish aviation and Marius still did not finish his research. Whatever I will say about him, it is a fact, he is the only one researcher of the German side.
Cheers
PS Really, only a small fraction of Polish aviation history was published in English.
Old 12th November 2005, 22:06
Alter Hase

Hallo Franek
Are you telling me, Polish publishers are only interested in publishing dual language books about everything else than the Polish Campaign?
If everything else manage to sell, why do they think their own history will not? Are they so totally denying their own history so they only believe Polish citizens (or Polish speaking citizens) should have a right to know what happend?
Isn't it about time someone who is dealing with them start to persuade them about the importance of the opposite??

But of course you are correct that if they fill the market with Polish written books the market for a dual language book will decrease, but that is their own fault, sticking their heads in the wallet first and not bothering to think in the first place.

Regarding blank spots, there will ALWAYS be blank spots. If every writer waited to get all missing items filled in there wouldn't be any book written what so ever....

Cheers
Stig
Old 12th November 2005, 22:23
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

Stig
Tell me, how many Polish aviation related bilingual books were published? Five come to my mind, one of them being a photo album of 1939 Polish wrecks.
The fact is that Polish history does not sell particularly well outside of Poland, and such a subject is a very high risk for small publishers. They have to pay the bills.
At the moment, most complete story is in Cynk's PAF at War by Schiffer.
Concerning blank spots, yes, they will be always present, but at the moment it is much more that 50% of Polish aviation. A very similar situation is with the Luftwaffe. Marius published stories of fighters and bombers only. Recce, liaison and transport aviation is not yet published.
Cheers
Old 12th November 2005, 23:41

Franek is right, there is no big interest on Polish campaign outside Poland The reason is a lot of fear by the publishers that the books wouldn`t earn money. Nevertheless I think I will do it also in German or English language very soon.

In Poland there is no big interest to hear something other than "songs of praise" on Polish aviation heros. Many Polish people say it is very important to get to know what German archives are telling about the air war in September campaign. But if these German documents are telling something different from what until now was published in Poland, so the documents must be falsified, or not complete or something else. The documents are indeed telling us something different and that seems to be the problem.

For our Polish readers: the third part about Ju 87 & Hs 123 is almost ready, but I think it will come out early 2006, not earlier. The fourth part is containing reconnaissance, transport and maritime units and I am still working on finishing it.

By the way, Cynk`s "most complete story" is only the Polish point of view and a lot of "afterwar" onesided propaganda.

Marius
Closed Thread