Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 27th March 2012, 02:38
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Problem with plane codes for I./KG1 - I./KG152 during 9.39

Hello,

After reading in deZeng/Stankey the histories of I./KG1 and I./KG152, I'm having a hard time understanding why I./KG152 a/c during the PC and later carried old IV./KG152 Gruppe and Staffel codes on their brand new He111Hs. According to this source, IV./KG152 became I./KG1 in May, 1939, and photos from the Polish Campaign period show that unit's old He111Es displaying standard codes for a I. Gruppe unit (ie. V4+EH, V4+AK, V4+CL for 1.-2.-3./KG1) during the PC. This makes sense to me.

However, I./KG152, which became II./KG1 during the Polish Campaign on 18.09.39, began and participated in the PC with brand new He111Hs, but using Gruppe and Staffel codes for the old IV./KG152 (ie. V4+AU, V4+KV & V4+DW--I don't have any photos for Stab I./KG152 a/c, but presumably their planes would be coded V4+_E). As II./KG1 after 18.09.39, the unit continued to carry IV. Gruppe codes well into the Battle of Britain, a year later.

So can anyone explain why these new He111s of I./KG152, soon to be II./KG1, carried IV./KG152 codes? Was it that I./KG1 already had the I Gr unit codes, and carried the Geschwader code of "V4", and they needed something different to distinguish I./KG152 aircraft from I./KG1 for the short period that they had two I Gruppe units with the same Gesch code of "V4"? Then, when the designation changed to II./KG1, they just never got around to changing the codes to what would be expected for that unit as a II Gruppe? Is that the most reasonable explanation of what happened?

Regards,