Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines > Die Jagdfliegerverbände der Deutschen Luftwaffe 1934 bis 1945

Die Jagdfliegerverbände der Deutschen Luftwaffe 1934 bis 1945 by Jochen Prien, Gerhard Stemmer, Peter Rodeike & Winfried Bock
incl. other work by Dr. Prien and his colleagues

Old 16th June 2022, 17:46

Jochen Prien is on a distinguished road
JFV 15/I

Gentlemen,

after a seemingly endless string of problems Jörg Rogge has given the "go " for Vol. 15/I to the printers - only to learn that there will have to be another delay as the staff of the printers have caught Covid and are out of action for the time being. The current schedule is that delivery of the new Voilume will start in 4 weeks from now, hopefully.

In the meantime Vol 15/II is in the process of proof-reading and corrections and will be ready for the publisher before the end of the year. Work on Vol 16 has begun which means that after 23 years of work on the JFV series at last there is a faint light at the end of the tunnel. I have yet to decide how exactly the final part will be presented and it looks that although it will cover only little over 4 months it will comprise at least 2 volumes. However this can be determined only when the compilation of the source material has been finished which is still a way to go.

KR

Jochen Prien
Old 18th July 2022, 21:12
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough
Re: JFV 15/I

Available sometime this month.

https://www.christian-schmidt.com/pr...ducts_id=11142

Usual disclaimer,
Ed
Old 27th July 2022, 11:33
Alter Hase

John Manrho will become famous soon enough

I received my copy yesterday. Again a big volume with a lot of data and also some new pictures. I think anyone really interested in the Jagdwaffe cannot do without these volumes.

Regards John
Old 15th August 2022, 16:31

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough

"...another 500-page tome from the Prien team filled with exceptionally detailed data from sources most of us are never likely to see and some 240 rare photographs..."

..the word 'review' doesn't really do these volumes justice but more here

Last edited by FalkeEins; 15th August 2022 at 19:16.
Old 15th August 2022, 19:34
Alter Hase

Neil,

Someone should make some comments. A listing of contents is helpful but a bit more is appreciated.

Best,
Ed
Old 16th August 2022, 14:34

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough

Ed,

thanks... the 7-8 paragraphs I put together there were primarily based on a quick read through of the chapter devoted to I./JG 51 and picking out a few interesting things. Otherwise I don't really know what to say, other than get a copy while/if you can, but then its a little late in the day to be saying that. The amount of text/data in a volume like this (these) is frankly mind-boggling. I don't know how the authors do it or even how they manage to organise themselves, let alone the material...FWIW partial answer here though

Last edited by FalkeEins; 16th August 2022 at 18:03.
Old 16th August 2022, 18:30
Alter Hase

Neil,

I have been involved in massive research projects but they were brief when compared to this. Such mountains are built a piece at a time. Yes, those who want information like this should buy the books sooner rather than later. The vultures on the so-called secondary market are looking forward to the conclusion of this series so they can arbitrarily raise prices.

Example: I purchased a World War II history book on an unrelated subject for $30. It shot up to $300 before slowly settling back down to around $30. Like the JaPo books, I am certain that the price will go up and people will be asking 'where I can get this information for less' at a not too distant date in the future.

Best,
Ed
Old 17th August 2022, 11:16

Steve Coates will become famous soon enoughSteve Coates will become famous soon enough

At this stage, the people buying these books have a very good idea of what they are in for and are unlikely to be guided by reviews.

As with Neil, I am hugely in awe of the productivity in evidence here.
Old 17th August 2022, 18:23
Alter Hase

Steve,

Good point. However, I need to point out that the research community here consists of words and terms that would be unknown to the newcomer. In order for this hobby, and I use the term loosely, to survive, a new generation of enthusiasts needs to be created. And book promotion is a constant, ongoing thing. I have been in book publishing for better than 40 years. After I'm gone, or anyone else here, then what? We have to think long-term.

Ask yourself: How did I first find out about this? A magazine article, a model kit or a book? Now, no thanks to the internet, too much is floating around in the ether. Invisible. And what about the LEMB or LWAG? Gone as far as any newcomer would know. They never existed. I can still log into the LEMB and there's a lot of good information there but it no longer exists for all intents and purposes outside of a relatively small circle.

Book promotion occurs weekly where I work. We have a large mailing list and must keep our readers/buyers engaged on a regular basis. It must be done. Again, no thanks to the internet, other shiny new things might distract our readers.

Best,
Ed
Old 18th August 2022, 00:39

Steve Coates will become famous soon enoughSteve Coates will become famous soon enough

Ed

I appreciate the point but it's a whole darn sight easier now than it was when I started. Just finding like-minded folk was a real undertaking in the 1980s never mind teaching oneself how to go about serious research with bugger all guidance. Things have moved on since then.

Inevitably, people will have a jumping on point (whenever they start) but if they are serious enough about things, they will find a way to build up their knowledge and understanding. Anyone new to the hobby must be prepared to put the hours in as the Internet certainly isn't going to provide it all. Only nothing is for nothing.

Steve