Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 31st December 2015, 23:25
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Trying to ID incident (Place/Date) for this crashed 1.KGr100 He111H, probably coded 6N+DH

Hello,

For years I've been trying unsuccessfully to ID this crashed 1./KGr100 He111H, probably coded 6N+DH. Since we're dealing with that unit in another TOCH thread, I thought I'd take another shot at identifying this one again. There is a small chance that this could be 6N+DL.

The markings on it suggest late 1940 or early 1941, as does the extra masts for the radio beam guidance system. The White "D" on the top of the fin is consistent with markings used during this period. I can't find any photo references to these kinds of markings or equipment on unit a/c in photos taken during the Russian Campaign of later. Based upon the heavy overcoats on the soldiers, and the lack of leaves on the trees in the background, this must have taken either in the late winter or very early spring of 1940, or during the late fall or winter of 1940-41. Can't see any black overpainting typical of "The Blitz" during the winter of 40-41, but some areas which are not visible could still be painted that way. This is likely the replacement for the known 6N+DH believed to have crashed on a French beach about August, 1940.

https://ihra.smugmug.com/photos/i-KJ...-KJrPqdf-S.jpg

In years past I've run this by Kjell Sørensen of the Flyvrak website and he doesn't think this looks like Norway, but possibly Denmark or France. I've also previously run it by Jean-Louis Roba and Ulf Balke, both of whom have published books on KG100, and neither could ID it. So who can help me ID it?. Are there other photos out there of this crash?

Thanx for your help.
Old 1st January 2016, 13:07
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Trying to ID incident (Place/Date) for this crashed 1.KGr100 He111H, probably coded 6N+DH

Larry

My spontaneous reaction to the surrounding area shown is what a look-a-like this is to the Swedish north when you are closing in on the Scandinavian mountain ridge up there.
The small trees, which more look like bushes, are very similar to the high altitude birches frequently found at higher altitude.
The lighter patches in the background looking a bit dirty could well be unmelted snow patches.
Having said that, I have no experience how things look like from the Norwegian side. I have only some small experience from the Swedish side of things....

Again I want to emphasize this is just my spontaneous reaction

Cheers
Stig
Old 1st January 2016, 17:52

micki is on a distinguished road
Re: Trying to ID incident (Place/Date) for this crashed 1.KGr100 He111H, probably coded 6N+DH

Hi Larry,

In Ken Wakefield "Pfadfinder" there are 3 pages describing the loss of 6N+DL on 23 December 1940, the most interesting being that "the He 111 ploughed through the tops of some trees, eventually coming to rest with its fuselage broken in two and its port wing torn off". Looks likes a good caption for your picture for me! Moreover, I've got good reasons to believe that 6N+DL crashed in the NW tip of the Cherbourg Peninsula, the landscape behind could match.

I hope this helps,
Mickaël
Old 1st January 2016, 21:07
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Stig and Mickael,

Thanx for responding. Here is what we carry in the EoE LW Loss DB for the 23.12.40 3./KGr100 loss incident:

"23 December 1940: 3./KGr. 100 Heinkel He111H-2 (2641). Wrecked in dead-stick landing in woods near Cherbourg both engines badly damaged in attack by AI radar-equipped Beaufighter of No.604 Squadron (F/L J. Cunningham & Sgt J. Phillipson) over the Channel off Portland during night sortie to Manchester 6.05 p.m. FF Fw Georg Deininger, BO Fw Helmut Uhlmann, BF Uffz Kurt Ott, and BM Obergefr Hans-Werner Hohlfeld all slightly injured. Aircraft 6N+DL 100% write-off."

I don't have my copy of "Pathfinder" at hand, but will also research it there. From your description of Ken Wakefield's text, everything matches, including that neither engine was turning over (dead stick landing) when it hit. My issue here is whether the terrain, with the hill or ridge line upon which this a/c came to rest, is consistent with the terrain around Cherbourg, France, especially the NW tip of the peninsula. Living in the USA it is impossible for me to know that, but some of our French experts may be able to verify this, or even locate the exact spot where this a/c came to rest if the hill or ridge is prominent in that area.

Other photos probably exist of this incident, which may help us confirm this as the crash if we can locate them.

Last edited by Larry Hickey; 2nd January 2016 at 00:21.
Old 1st January 2016, 23:34

micki is on a distinguished road

Larry,

Cherbourg peninsula is where I live and researching the air war history there is my free-time job. Now since viewing your picture, I have more materials to explore the landscape, will let you know of any matching I could find.

Regards,
Mickaël
Old 2nd January 2016, 04:00
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Mickaël,

Excellent. I look forward to your success in locating this place.
Old 3rd January 2016, 22:18
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Mickaël,

I've responded to your PM with my personal email address, so you can send me yours for making available a high-res image of this close-hold photo. If you don't get the PM, or don't get a response, ping on me again here as I want to get it to you. Unfortunately, the double hump on the skyline in the upper left horizon is probably not a house, but more likely a couple of higher trees. It would be nice to have some structural landmarks to work from, but unfortunately, I really don't see any. The terrain and farmer's fields will have to be your guidelines.