Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines > Die Jagdfliegerverbände der Deutschen Luftwaffe 1934 bis 1945

Die Jagdfliegerverbände der Deutschen Luftwaffe 1934 bis 1945 by Jochen Prien, Gerhard Stemmer, Peter Rodeike & Winfried Bock
incl. other work by Dr. Prien and his colleagues

Old 9th May 2008, 15:09

Jochen Prien is on a distinguished road
Jagdfliegerverbände 10/II

Gentlemen,

I would like to inform you, that - albeit again with a slight delay - Vol. 10/II of our Jagdfliegerverbände series has passed its final corrections and is now in production with a planned delivery date of first week of June 2008.

The Volume has 473 pages and covers the technical descriptions of the fighter aircraft that saw service in the home defense in 1943 - i.e. Bf 109 G-4, G-5, G-6 and Fw 190 A-5, A-6 and A-7 - a chapter on special armament for combat against the US 4-engined bombers, a short summary of W.T. control of the defensive operations over Germany and a brief section covering special painting and marking schemes of the day fighters of the home defense units in 1943.

Units dealt with in Vol. 10/II - including detailed claims- and loss-lists in the usual form - are JG 1 with Stab, I., II., III. and 11./JG 1, JG 3 with Stab, I., II., III. and IV./JG 3, I./JG 4, and JG 11 with Stab, I. and II. Gruppe, the rest of this unit to follow in Vol. 10/III. There are some 320 photos, 7 line drawings of a/c variants and 2 technical sketches showing details of the Bf 109 cabin and cockpit section.

I sincerely hope that you will be satisfied with what we have to offer.

Regards

Jochen Prien
Old 9th May 2008, 16:03

leonventer is on a distinguished road
Re: Jagdfliegerverbände 10/II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochen Prien View Post
I would like to inform you, that - albeit again with a slight delay - Vol. 10/II of our Jagdfliegerverbände series has passed its final corrections and is now in production with a planned delivery date of first week of June 2008.

The Volume has 473 pages and covers the technical descriptions of the fighter aircraft that saw service in the home defense in 1943 - i.e. Bf 109 G-4, G-5, G-6 and Fw 190 A-5, A-6 and A-7 - a chapter on special armament for combat against the US 4-engined bombers, a short summary of W.T. control of the defensive operations over Germany and a brief section covering special painting and marking schemes of the day fighters of the home defense units in 1943.

Units dealt with in Vol. 10/II - including detailed claims- and loss-lists in the usual form - are JG 1 with Stab, I., II., III. and 11./JG 1, JG 3 with Stab, I., II., III. and IV./JG 3, I./JG 4, and JG 11 with Stab, I. and II. Gruppe, the rest of this unit to follow in Vol. 10/III. There are some 320 photos, 7 line drawings of a/c variants and 2 technical sketches showing details of the Bf 109 cabin and cockpit section.

I sincerely hope that you will be satisfied with what we have to offer.
Excellent news! Thanks very much for the update.

The contents for 10/II look especially interesting. Keep up the great work!

Regards,
Leon Venter.
Old 19th June 2008, 21:22
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation

Looks like the wait is over, just received a (complimentary) copy of JVL 10/II direct from Struve Druck!

473 filled pages

Reichsverteidigung 1-1- to 31-12-1943

40p introduction, mainly about the aircraft, but also including weapons and radio direction/control.

173p JG 1

130p JG 3

5p I/JG4

125p Stab, I. & II./JG 11

Rest to follow in JVL 10/III

Looking forward to digging in.

A special thanks to Jochen Prien, Gerhard Stemmer, Peter Rodeike, Winfried Bock and Struve Druck for providing me yet again with such a great (gift) book!

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 23rd June 2008, 16:29

wrackplatz is on a distinguished road

Most photos are well known and the print is on very poor quality paper.
I'm really disappointed. Hope hat the quality of the next issues of this series
will become better again!
Old 23rd June 2008, 17:48

There is some overlap with earlier Prien work, we know that in advance, but in what sense do you find the quality less than previous volumes?!

Old 24th June 2008, 09:53

wrackplatz is on a distinguished road

The paper is bad and the quality of the photos.
I think when you publish so much informations like
Mr. Prien and his team, you should hold the quality
of the photos so you can see all important details.
The problem is that they use many old reproduction
photos without enough contrasts e.g.
And when you print so much photos you should use
a better paper, it's a little bid more expensive but
worth it's the price.
Old 30th June 2008, 16:20

IHMO, the paper type has been a known variable ever since they moved to Struve. It has never bothered me that Prien et al is not published as a pictorial, which would probably double the price (I expect the publishing run to be relatively small). The strength of this series is the combined information, not only the pictorial content.

Although Jochen Prien was kind enough to give me the last volumes of JVL for free (I'd not hesitate purchasing my copies if need be), that doesn't mean I'm not critical. The series to me is still very impressive and simply unsurpassed in scope.