Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines > Die Jagdfliegerverbände der Deutschen Luftwaffe 1934 bis 1945

Die Jagdfliegerverbände der Deutschen Luftwaffe 1934 bis 1945 by Jochen Prien, Gerhard Stemmer, Peter Rodeike & Winfried Bock
incl. other work by Dr. Prien and his colleagues

Old 3rd September 2007, 20:21

Cpt_Farrel is on a distinguished road
Re: Jagdfliegerverbände Vol. 10

A question regarding Vol 10... I'm doing some research for some decals and I'm looking for a list of Friedrich Eberle's kills in the last half of 1943 and early 1944. Is the units' kills listed just like in Vol.9 and if so, in which of the books in Vol 10 will cover III./JG1?

I've just started getting into this series and I think it's excellent by the way! (It's making me brush up on my german which is usefule too!)

Thanks in advance! / Anders
Old 4th September 2007, 17:16

Jochen Prien is on a distinguished road

Dear Anders,

The claims list for III./JG 1 will be in Vol. 10 / II as far as 1943 is concerned and in Vol. 13 for the 1944 period. Hope this helps and thank you for the flowers.

Regards

Jochen Prien
Old 4th September 2007, 23:58
Alter Hase

Jim P. will become famous soon enough

Dr. Prien,

A question if I may - the early volumes of the current series carried the 109 related losses for the Schlactgruppen for the BoB and Balkans. Is it your intent at all to continue with these for the later years? And/or the 109 recon units that flew the 109/190?
Old 5th September 2007, 08:48

Cpt_Farrel is on a distinguished road

Thanks! I'll propably get them all sooner or later, but it's good to know what to expect!

/Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochen Prien View Post
Dear Anders,

The claims list for III./JG 1 will be in Vol. 10 / II as far as 1943 is concerned and in Vol. 13 for the 1944 period. Hope this helps and thank you for the flowers.

Regards

Jochen Prien
Old 5th September 2007, 10:20

Dear Jim P.,

no, it is not our intent to further include the service of the Schlachtgruppen nor of the reconnaissance units ( F, H or NAG ) although it is definitely tempting since both types of units were involved in aerial combats and reported a substantial number of claims. But for the time being it would be just too much to deal with. To be honest, we had some discussions amongst the team whether or not to include II.(S)/LG2 at all and finally arrived at the solution that you can see - the Gruppe is dealt with until the end of the Balkans Campaign and no further. This was born out by the fact that we had researched it up to that point and didn't want to waste what we had found. Surely not exactly a logical argument but then I think it didn't do the whole thing any harm.

I personally have been contemplating doing something on the Bf 109's in recce units as I have quite a lot of interesting material on that subject, but for the time being it is the JFV series which has absolute priority, if I ever live to see it reaching the end. So, no promises made with respect to the recce units.

Regards

Jochen Prien
Old 29th October 2007, 11:47

Bogdan is on a distinguished road

Dear Mr Prien
Please tell me when I will see an english translation for this books?
Also. shall I hope I will ever see any?
Also, which is more detail in daily returns , daily order of battle and losess, this 10 volume books or the books treating each Geschwader apart?
Please respond at any length you wish
Kind regards, Bogdan
Old 15th November 2007, 18:26

Dear Bogdan,

excuse me for this late response; to answer your questions I can at the moment only comment as follows:

1) The question of an English translation of the JFV series remains open with no further development since my last information, i.e. nothing has been signed and sealed so far.

2) The claims and loss lists are basically identical in the unit histories and the JFV series, the latter being up-dated with what additional information and corrections became available between the publication of the unit histories and the coverage of the same units in the JFV series. For instance, the first Volume of the JG 53 unit history appeared back in 1989, almost 18 years ago. Since then many new sources have been unearthed and the additional information has been inserted into the JFV series. This is an ongoing process also with the JFV series that was started in the year 2000, again already seven years ago resulting in a number of additions and corrections concerning - amongst other - the claims and loss lists of the earlier volumes.

Hope this helps

Regards

Jochen Prien
Old 22nd December 2008, 07:53
Alter Hase

Nokose will become famous soon enough

Dear Dr. Prien,
Is the next volume still on track for mid Jan 2009
Old 31st December 2008, 23:45

Let's say January, to be on the safe side.

Happy new year and

regards

Jochen Prien