Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines > Die Jagdfliegerverbände der Deutschen Luftwaffe 1934 bis 1945

Die Jagdfliegerverbände der Deutschen Luftwaffe 1934 bis 1945 by Jochen Prien, Gerhard Stemmer, Peter Rodeike & Winfried Bock
incl. other work by Dr. Prien and his colleagues

Old 28th April 2009, 13:57

Jochen Prien is on a distinguished road
Jagdfliegerverbände 10/III

Gentlemen,

I almost don't dare to announce that as of today Vol. 10/III of our Jagdfliegerverbände series has appeared in print and is now available through the usual channels.

It has apparently and unfortunately become a rule rather than the exception that we hardly ever meet the planned date of release owing to a variable number of unforseen reasons - this time it was the bookbinder and his lack of capacity for this job who was the last on the line to turn a planned December release into a late April one. One of the collateral effects is that some information in the addenda and correction section that is included in our book and which was due to be out late last year has since appeared elsewhere (which makes it look now as though we had been copying from others which we haven't).

Anyway, I hope you will be satisfied with what you get. We still have some organizational problem with Vol. 10/IV - Service in the West, 1943 - as the material is way too much for one volume, the text lone being appr. 600 pages. So may be we will have to make this 10/IV and 10/V rather than decimating the existing manuscript ( and the photographical section). Let's wait and see how our publisher will digest this information.

The text for Vol. 11/I and II - Service in the Mediterrannean ToW, 1943 - is almost complete. With that in mind we can try to catch up a little with the release of the next volumes.

Regards

Jochen Prien
Old 28th April 2009, 14:22

yogybär is on a distinguished road
Re: Jagdfliegerverbände 10/III

Very nice to hear! I should look into that new book.

Another question slightly beyond the specific topic here: When will there be another volume on the Ostfront?
Old 28th April 2009, 15:55
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogybär View Post
Very nice to hear! I should look into that new book.

Another question slightly beyond the specific topic here: When will there be another volume on the Ostfront?
I second that question, particularly for the very busy (and so far incompletely covered) 1944 year.
Old 28th April 2009, 16:09

Dear Jörg,
dear Denes,

The service in the East in 1943 will be the subject of Vol. 12, work on which has not yet begun, as I work my way through the series strictly following the basic pattern for every single year, which is Home / West - South - East.

Thus 1944 in the East will be covered by Vol. 15, Chapter XXIII. I have a distinct feeling that with regard to our current annual output and the as yet unknown and unforeseeable number of sub-volumes to be expected that this lies way ahead in the future. I hope that we will ever reach that point - and of course the end of this line - and that we will all still be around by that time.

Anyway, thanks for your interest and

kind regards

Jochen Prien
Old 28th April 2009, 16:11

leonventer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochen Prien View Post
I almost don't dare to announce that as of today Vol. 10/III of our Jagdfliegerverbände series has appeared in print and is now available through the usual channels.
Congratulations! That's excellent news.

Quote:
we hardly ever meet the planned date of release owing to a variable number of unforseen reasons
No complaints here. Having read many authors' accounts on this forum about the issues involved in getting a single book published, I can't even imagine the difficulties associated with producing an encyclopedic, multi-volume work.

Quote:
We still have some organizational problem with Vol. 10/IV
My vote is for no decimation. I'll make space on the shelf for as many volumes as you produce. Please press Struve to accommodate all of your material.

Quote:
Anyway, I hope you will be satisfied with what you get.
That's a given! Please keep up the fine work, and know that it's appreciated.

Regards,
Leon Venter
Old 28th April 2009, 20:30
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Wonderful news Jochen

This means my German book package can finally get moving. I have given strict order they should wait for your book!!

Also it sounds like you need to borrow an afterburner from the present Luftwaffe and stop your regular work... (Just kidding)

Thanks again for all past good times reading your books and hopefully many more to come in the future.

Cheers
Stig
Old 28th April 2009, 22:23

PhilippeDM

Mr. Prien

Thanks for the wonderful hours of lecture you provide us! Volume 10/III is scheduled to arrive... on my birthday. You can imagine that it is a very pleasant gift!

Very best regards,

Philippe

Philippe
Old 30th April 2009, 00:03
Alter Hase

Nokose will become famous soon enough

I know that II/JG51 and III/JG54 are in this volume but what other units are listed. Still waiting to see the price as it hasn't showed up yet on the sites I've checked. I'm also waiting for the eastern front for 1943.
Old 30th April 2009, 10:16

Dear Nokose,

the units covered in Vol. 10/III are III./JG 11, 10./JG 11, Jasta Helgoland -11./JG 11, JG 25, I./JG 26, III./JG 26, I./JG 27, II./JG 27, JG 50, II./JG 51, II./JG 53, III./JG 54, Sturmstaffel 1, Stab/JG z.b.V. and Industrieschutzstaffeln, all operating over Germany, and I. and IV./JG 5 operating from Norway against the Western alliies. Then there are additions and corrections to Vol. 1 - 10/II and a fold out map of Germany and adjacent areas with the Luftwaffe grid-net.

As for the East look at my earlier post in response to Jörg and Denes' questions.

Regards

Jochen Prien
Old 16th May 2009, 16:22

CENTURION is on a distinguished road

Dear Mr. Prien

I just received Vol. 10 / III.
Congratulations for your wonderful book (as usual).

I have a question regarding your future publications:

I noticed that Wilde Saue Jagdgeschwader JG 300, JG 301, JG 302 are not included among the home defense units described in your book.
This is reasonable, being these night fighter units and the number of daylight fights in 1943 being negligible.
But in the early months of 1944 these units were involved more and more in daylight fights, until their conversion to this role in May.

Do you plan to describe the early 1944 daylight activity of these units in your next volumes?

Regarding Vol. 10 / IV (that I hope to read next summer), I agree with Leon Verter and I hope that the existing manuscript wont be decimated, even if this will cause the publication of two books instead of one only.

Thank you for your effort.

Best Regards

Marco