Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines > Die Jagdfliegerverbände der Deutschen Luftwaffe 1934 bis 1945

Die Jagdfliegerverbände der Deutschen Luftwaffe 1934 bis 1945 by Jochen Prien, Gerhard Stemmer, Peter Rodeike & Winfried Bock
incl. other work by Dr. Prien and his colleagues

Old 27th July 2006, 12:00

Jochen Prien is on a distinguished road
Jagdfliegerverbände Vol. 9 / III

Gentlemen,

I almost don't dare to announce the publication of Vol. 9 / III of the JFV series after a number of technical and organizatorial problems that have so far prevented the book from becoming available. I sincerely apologize for the repeated delays.

As of today I have returned the proof read material to the printer who will start working next week aiming at a final release date of mid-August. The book will comprise 509 pages with 501 photos, about a dozen in colour. There will be fold out maps and the usual line drawings etc.

The production delay of Vol. 9/III has allowed me to build up a certain advance with respect to Vol. 10 which will cover the Reichsverteidigung 1943 as well as operations in the West in that year. The sheer amount of material makes it neccessary that this will be another triple set. I have so far completed the manuscripts for 10 / I and II and the Reichsverteidigung part of 10 / III with the chapter dealing with the West still to be tackled.

Compared to Volmes 1 - 9 there will be a change in the structure of Vol. 10 in so far as 10 / I will be a general part on the Reichsverteidigung alone giving a day to day account of aerial daylight operations over the Reich in 1943. The air battles will be described with the participating units being dealt with summarily, the details of their operations following in 10 / II and III in the usual fashion. The idea behind this is that with the growing number of units involved in the aerial battles it would lead to endless and tiring repetitions if we stuck to the format that we have worked on until now and which will be continued with on the other theatres of operations as before. As of now it looks like there will be well in excess of 1.000 adaequate photos for all three volumes so that the degree of photo coverage can be maintained as until now. This of course is not meant to deter anybody out there from making available any wothwhile photo to us in order to share it with the readers of the JFV series as it has happened in the past and would be gratefully appreciated.

We are plannuíng and hoping to publish 10 / I at the end of this year. The proof reading of the manuscript shall be completed by the end of September / mid-October latest and then go to the printer. Let's hope for the best.

Again - my apologies for the delay with Vol. 9 / III; I hope the result will make good for the long time of waiting.

Regards

Jochen Prien

P.S.: Before the question will come up again - as of today I cannot tell how many Volumes here will be in the end if we can ever complete the series. It looks as though with the basic structure of 16 Volumes left unchanged, the overall number of books including the subvolumes may end up between 26 and 28 depending on what material will be available at the time.
Old 27th July 2006, 12:20

Andy Fletcher
Re: Jagdfliegerverbände Vol. 9 / III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochen Prien

Compared to Volmes 1 - 9 there will be a change in the structure of Vol. 10 in so far as 10 / I will be a general part on the Reichsverteidigung alone giving a day to day account of aerial daylight operations over the Reich in 1943. The air battles will be described with the participating units being dealt with summarily, the details of their operations following in 10 / II and III in the usual fashion. The idea behind this is that with the growing number of units involved in the aerial battles it would lead to endless and tiring repetitions if we stuck to the format that we have worked on until now and which will be continued with on the other theatres of operations as before.
So am I correct in assuming that 10/I will not contain detailed claim and loss lists but that these lists will appear in 10/II and 10/III.

Sorry for the dumb question but my German is minimal and whereas I can make use of the lists I have great trouble with text.

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher
Old 27th July 2006, 12:45

Dear Andy

yes, your assumption is correct. In 10/I there will be only the summary results of the respective days of combat, whereas in 10/ II and III there will be the detailed claims and loss lists as they have appeared in all volumes published so far.

Regards

Jochen Prien
Old 27th July 2006, 13:28

yogybär is on a distinguished road

Hallo Herr Prien,

Sie sind ja nicht der einzige Autor, dessen aktuelles Buch vespätet kommt. Ich freue mich.
"Eine" Frage: Gibt es das Ganze auch auf deutsch und wenn ja: Wo?

An der Stelle auch noch ein Lob, die Bücher über JG3 und 53 stehen bei mir im Schrank und ich finde sie klasse!
Old 27th July 2006, 15:49

Andy Fletcher

Hi Jochen,

Many thanks for the quick reply and clarifying the format of the books.

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher
Old 27th July 2006, 17:04

Hohentwiel is on a distinguished road

Hello Jörg,

please have a look at http://www.jagdgeschwader.net/

You also can use google and look for "Jochen Prien"
or "Jagdfliegerverbände". You'll find some online shops
were you can buy this series. Or ask in your local
book shop. They can order these books too.

Ach ja, die Serie ist komplett auf Deutsch, nur ist die
Sprache dieses Forums Englisch!

Greetings to all,
Sven.
Old 27th July 2006, 18:10

leonventer is on a distinguished road

Dear Jochen,

Quote:
I almost don't dare to announce the publication of Vol. 9 / III of the JFV series after a number of technical and organizatorial problems that have so far prevented the book from becoming available. I sincerely apologize for the repeated delays.
Not a problem at all -- snags are inevitable in such a huge undertaking. It's the end product that matters, and your books certainly deliver. We can wait.

Quote:
...the overall number of books including the subvolumes may end up between 26 and 28 depending on what material will be available at the time.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll plan my shelf space accordingly...

Keep up the excellent work!

Regards,
Leon Venter
Old 29th July 2006, 03:32

kormoran is on a distinguished road

Quote:
P.S.: Before the question will come up again - as of today I cannot tell how many Volumes here will be in the end if we can ever complete the series.
Hello Mr. Prien,

do you fear, that you can't end the series? I thought you've also planed
a following series about destroyer and nightfighter series as you've
told us in Vol. 1.

Kind regards,
Günter.
Old 2nd August 2006, 13:50

Dear Günter,

it's not so much a matter of fear that I might not be able to finish the JFV series; but as you can imagine a lot of things can happen that could lead to a completely different situation. Running my own law office and having a family with three little boys - aged 7, 5 and 1 - and having a lot of other things that need to be looked after it is easily imaginable the there might arise a situation when I simply don't find the neccessary time to work on the series as until now. I therefore want to make it clear that as much as I enjoy writing the JFV series I have to make it clear that this is no obligation of mine but pure pastime and so nobody could ever blame me if I ever should call an end to this effort before actually reaching May the 8th, 1945.

As for the follow up on Zerstörer- and Nightfighter units - no promise was made, it was just to make clear that if at all they were to be dealt with in a different series. And as for me I can definitely say that I won't be in on either of them.

Regards

Jochen Prien
Old 30th August 2006, 13:43

Gentlemen,

at long last struve druck have informed me, that delivery of Vol. 9/III has now commenced. Being only the author I have yet to get my complimentary copies and therefore cannot comment on the ultimate result of this venture but I trust that struve druck did their job as properly as the proofs promised they would.

I hope that after all the books will compensate for the delay and I also hope that it will be possible to meet the deadline with the publication of Vol. 10/I - Reichsverteidigung 1943 -, which is scheduled to be out by arly December this year.

Regards

Jochen Prien