Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 21st April 2017, 14:05

Marcel Hogenhuis will become famous soon enough
Re: 4000lb bomb

Hello all,

On every Luftwaffe airfield the ammo dump ('Munitionslager') was led by a so called 'Feuerwerker'. On Venlo airfield that man was also called in whenever Allied bombs were dropped in our region. I have several incidents where the Feuerwerker of Venlo airfield defuzed non exploded bombs. No doubt that he was the local expert who had this task.

All the best, Marcel
Old 22nd April 2017, 04:20
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

Here is the answer. Scroll down or up to read about Bomb-Disposal Squads in full.

https://books.google.com/books?id=xr...20-uxb&f=false

Ed
Old 24th April 2017, 16:55

hanshauprich is on a distinguished road

Hello,
each Luftgaukommando has an Feuerwerker-Unit!! They often travel over the countryside and defused British and US Bombs. By mid 1944 with this Kommandos also Prisoners, KZ-Insassen etc. worked as volunteers with the Feuerwerker, especialy for defusing "Cookie" etc.
h.
Old 25th April 2017, 09:02

captain_M is on a distinguished road

Cheers hanshauprich, edwest2, Marcel and Snautzer
The information I’ve gathered so far suggests: Kdo.Flugh.Ber. 13/VII or Luftgaukommando XIV Gruppe I c were responsible for documenting/recovering the aircraft that crashed near Hanau.
These documents talk about the recovery of wreckage, bodies, personal belongings, electronic equipment and machine guns. However there’s no mention of Feuerwerker, Munitionslager or Cookie bombs.
This is a massive problem with my research as the aircraft I’m investigating was fully loaded with bombs:
“We were still carrying one 4000lb and four 1000lb bombs, and our TIs.
As I closed the doors and we headed into the blackness beyond the
target, a blacker shadow suddenly materialized right in front of us, grew in a
second to the huge outline of an aircraft, and hit us with tremendous
violence.”
NM
Old 27th June 2017, 18:44

captain_M is on a distinguished road

Still no luck finding documents relating to the missing bomb load, thanks for all your help.
I’ve discovered a new possibility. Parts from the aircraft I’m researching were sent to Berlin-Aldershof. What little evidence I’ve found suggests the site ended up in Russian hands.
I’ve recently come across a website called germandocsinrussia.org. Does anyone know if any Beute-Auswertungsstelle Berlin-Adlershof files are available on this website? I’m struggling to navigate through the German and Russian language.
Cheers in advance
Neil