Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 5th June 2013, 01:54

GranddaughterofLuftwaffe is on a distinguished road
Looking for ANY and ALL information on Unit 11/NJG5 that my Grandfather Otto Karl Tillack was in.

Would you happen to have any information about Unit 11/NJG5 my Grandfather Otto Karl Tillack was in that unit. The plane he was on on April 11th, 1944 was shot down and i was wondering if you had any info on that crash or pictures, or if you may have any information on the Unit he was in and or any pictures of he and the other men in his unit. the Pilot on the day of the crash was Karl Kades, not my Grandfather that day.
You may reach me or my Father which is Axel Otto Tillack"Camp" the son of Otto Karl Tillack via here or via our emails. Mine is: charlotterookswrites72@hotmail.com
and my Father`s is: alexrrcamp@gmail.com
Thank you in advance,
Char and Axel
Old 5th June 2013, 04:15

G.R.Morrison
Re: Looking for ANY and ALL information on Unit 11/NJG5 that my Grandfather Otto Karl Tillack was in.

I have an Otto Tillack, but with 8./JG 1, not a nightfighter unit.

Bf 109G-6 WNr.27023 of 8./JG 1, coded "schwarze 10"
Uffz. Otto Tillack KIA 30.Jan. 1944 near Zwolle in aerial combat with enemy fighters.

8. = Eighth Staffel, part of III Gruppe
JG 1 = Jagdgeschwader One, a dedicated home-defense unit, operational in daylight.

As to Kades, that one matches up:

Ju 88G-1 WNr.710458 of 11./NJG 5, perhaps still marked with its delivery code (Stammkennzeichen) BS+ZL
Pilot Ofw. Karl Kades KIA 11/April 1944 due to aerial combat during a transit flight. Bordfunker (radio operator) Ofw. Otto Tillack also KIA, Bordschütz (gunner) FSA (parachuted, name not recorded); location given as Weisswasser O/L. Jagen

GRM

Last edited by G.R.Morrison; 5th June 2013 at 04:21. Reason: typo
Old 6th June 2013, 16:10

Re: Looking for ANY and ALL information on Unit 11/NJG5 that my Grandfather Otto Karl Tillack was in.

Grm,
thank you so much for all of the information that you have provided me with. Can you explain what the delivery code means etc?
How might i be able to find pictures of the plane or any pictures of my Grandfather back then in his unit etc.
Thanks, Char
Old 6th June 2013, 16:16
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

A delivery code is the code used on the aircraft when it left the factory after which it would be assigned a code relevant to its assigned unit.
As to photos, you will be lucky to track down someone who was with 11/NJG 5 (and is still alive) and who took a photo and noted the names. However, as your Grandfather was an Oberfeldwebel, it is probable that he flew with other units which might increase your chances-you will need to contact WASt or Bundesarchiv for this information
Old 6th June 2013, 17:30
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road

710458 Ju 88 G-1 BS+ZL 11./NJG 5 (Luftwaffe)
Non-OPS (H) on ferry flight when downed by enemy fighter (100%) at Weisswasser O/L. Jagen at 12:00 hrs 11.04.1944 (F Ofw. Karl Kades and BF Ofw. Otto Tillack killed, BS Obfw. Gerhard Niesen <one crew uninj./baled out in Balss Nachtjagd, but Salonen says this person killed>) [Michael Balss “Deutsche Nachtjagd”; Matti Salonen WASTi/NVM]
Old 6th June 2013, 18:37

Julius is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Looking for ANY and ALL information on Unit 11/NJG5 that my Grandfather Otto Karl Tillack was in.

Hi,

in this book is written something about your father: http://www.flugbuecher.de/Flugplaetz...1935-1945.html

Good luck.

Julius
Old 6th June 2013, 19:28
Alter Hase

Revi16 is on a distinguished road

This is what the aircraft would have looked like,
http://forum.valka.cz/attachments/121/Ju_88_G-1.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Germa...G-1/1963488/L/

This Ju-88 is 710430 (28 numbers off)
http://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Ju-88/Ju-...8-(G9+DS).html
Old 7th June 2013, 18:05

Julius, Yes, I have written to Jens and am getting the book soon and I can`t wait!!! Thank you soo much!!!
Char
Old 7th June 2013, 18:07

Thank you ED. You are so kind to forward the information onto me as well as others have. Oh how i wish i could find pictures of my Grandfather in his unit(s) to have more pictures than just the one that I currently have.
Old 7th June 2013, 18:12

Thank you REv16 you are very kind to send those along to me.
Char