Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 5th November 2017, 15:13

ChrisMAg2
Re: wreck identification - engine pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by hervelevano View Post
Hello,

would it be possible, when BMW 801 is provided with flame dampers, that exhaust pipes would be round all the way, to avoid excessive flames?

The photo of the flame damper you attached seems very close to the subaquatic picture...

Does anyone know if those flame dampers are standard for both allied and german aircrafts?

thanks,

hervé
They were standard to a BMW801E. The way the exhaust pipes appear on the first photos actually suggest (to me atleast) a BMW801, maybe on a Do217.
I dont think this speacial exhaust flares woud apply to an allied engine or a/c.
Old 5th November 2017, 16:53

Epinephelus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMAg2 View Post
They were standard to a BMW801E. The way the exhaust pipes appear on the first photos actually suggest (to me atleast) a BMW801, maybe on a Do217.
I dont think this speacial exhaust flares woud apply to an allied engine or a/c.
Having found an english writing on a carburator is disturbing. Do we have a chance to find writings on the remaining pieces? In this case, could someone indicate on one of the pics where to scratch?
Old 5th November 2017, 17:35

hervelevano is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thank you Chris!
according to the Do 217 scheme and the pic of the wreck years ago, don't you think we can see a match with a Do 217 lying on the back? Flame damping system is over the wings (normally above) and the tail is quite similar to the Do photo attached if lying upside down...)

hervé
Old 5th November 2017, 20:03
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epinephelus View Post
Having found an english writing on a carburator is disturbing.
No worries, Patent is same in many languages. And we have to take it with a grain of salt(water), he was familar with (if BMW 801) the motor type "injection system" (or if Kommandogerat).

But now I step back and watch. Tail has Do 217 (or similar) detail.
Old 5th November 2017, 20:21
Alter Hase

Snautzer will become famous soon enough

rotated for ease of viewing Do217 tail detail

Last edited by Snautzer; 12th December 2017 at 21:53.
Old 6th November 2017, 01:36

ChrisMAg2

Quote:
Thank you Chris!
according to the Do 217 scheme and the pic of the wreck years ago, don't you think we can see a match with a Do 217 lying on the back? Flame damping system is over the wings (normally above) and the tail is quite similar to the Do photo attached if lying upside down...)

hervé
Absolutely correct conclusion (IMO). See for that Snautzer's detail photo above this post. If the photo would be mirrored it would be more evident.

The exhaust pipes you see here on the photos are the pipes of the downward/ side leading exhausts. The engine or the exhaust sysyem is mounted turned on the center axis line by 180 dergrees. So the originally downward facing exhaust pipes on a fighter (pointing under the fuselage e.g. on a Fw190) are in this wreck actually facing above the wing.
This is an indicator, that we are looking at the underside wing surface. What we don't see anymore, is the undercarriage and tail wheel assembly, that might somehow and somewhen been seperated from the wing/ fuselage. So, yes, the wreck appears to be laying on it's back.

Also, the engine does not appear to be complete anymore, as I only see one of the two piston rows of a BMW801. This fact might have led to the theory this could be a british Blenheim with one rowed engines. But if the wreck would have been measured entirely, I suppose a Blenheim would immidiately have been excluded, as a Blenheim is noticeibely smaller then a Do217.

I took the liberty to modify your photo, to visualise what I mean. The "X" marked areas/ objects are now gone on this wreck. The arrows point to what is visible on the wreck photos.
Old 6th November 2017, 07:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by edNorth View Post
No worries, Patent is same in many languages. And we have to take it with a grain of salt(water), he was familar with (if BMW 801) the motor type "injection system" (or if Kommandogerat).

But now I step back and watch. Tail has Do 217 (or similar) detail.
Hello,
Excuse me but my bad english made me misanderstand this. Are you saying that"patent", same word on german, was often written on engines parts ? Then I don't get the sentence with kommandogerät... You say that BMW did not have carburetor, but direct oil injection ? Is that correct ?

On which part of this very bad state wreck could we find some other inscription, do you think?

Thanks a lot again for this great forum, it's awesome how much information you all know!

Hervé
Old 6th November 2017, 08:10

Quote:
Also, the engine does not appear to be complete anymore, as I only see one of the two piston rows of a BMW801. This fact might have led to the theory this could be a british Blenheim with one rowed engines. But if the wreck would have been measured entirely, I suppose a Blenheim would immidiately have been excluded, as a Blenheim is noticeibely smaller then a Do217.
Sorry but one question again: we can't neither eliminate a ju hypothesis, can we ?
Old 6th November 2017, 09:52

ChrisMAg2

Quote:
Sorry but one question again: we can't neither eliminate a ju hypothesis, can we ?
In my opinion, the tail part of this wreck appears to be that of a Do217. The same part on a Ju88/ Ju188 would look very different.
Old 6th November 2017, 11:54
Alter Hase

Snautzer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
In my opinion, the tail part of this wreck appears to be that of a Do217. The same part on a Ju88/ Ju188 would look very different.
I agree about the Ju88/188. Not 100% sure about the Do217 yet. Which unit with Do217 were in the neighbourhood ?

Tags
engine, identification, wreck