Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 7th June 2008, 13:45

Steve Brew is on a distinguished road
Military Archive, Bundesarchiv, Fribourg

Is anyone going to, or does anyone live near, the Military Archive of Bundesarchiv in Fribourg, Germany? Respectively, can anyone recommend a reliable, affordable researcher?

I want to obtain copies of entries from the 1(F)/123 ORB for 14 and 23 August 1942. I have identified the correct file in correspondence with the Archive, but need someone to copy the relevant pages for me.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Feel free to send me a PM, if preferred, at brew AT clients.ch (I'm in London despite my Swiss e-mail address; I used to live in Switzerland)

Thanks
Steve
Old 7th June 2008, 14:25
Alter Hase

John Manrho will become famous soon enough
Re: Military Archive, Bundesarchiv, Fribourg

Steve,

I believe you simple can order copies at the BA/MA. That's at least what I do. You can't copy on site.

cheers,

John
Old 7th June 2008, 15:38

GrünherzJG54 is on a distinguished road

I am living near Freiburg, but will not gain acces to the files. You have to e-mail them with the questions you have and they will send it to you.

militaerarchiv at barch.bund.de

The military archive is for officers data only if you want some general data you have to ask at the so called Wast.

http://dd-wast.javabase.de/

greets

Christopher
Old 7th June 2008, 18:09

Hi John and Christopher

Thanks for your replies.

The Bundesarchiv basically said I need to go to a recognised researcher to get copies, and I was hoping - like in the case of the NA here in London, where they also make recommendations - that it might be possible for someone to go in and copy the few pages for me. Naturally, I can simply write to the recommended researchers, but as I don't know these people, I was hoping for a recommendation from someone who's used such services before, or perhaps to hear from some like-minded on the forum who lives nearby and may be able to gain access.

They wrote to me:

bei den Aktenbänden RL 10/385a-c handelt es sich Anlagen zum Kriegstagebuch mit Sammelmeldungen und Fernschreiben. Band a v. 1. Jan. bis 8. Sept. 1942, Band b vom 9. Sept. bis 31. Dez. 1942, Band c bezieht sich vornehmlich auf Aug. 1942 und enthält Flieger- und Startmeldungen.

Diese Unterlagen können Sie gerne hier in Freiburg einsehen und für Ihre Belange auswerten. Den Termin für Ihren möglichen Archivbesuch bitte ich unmittelbar mit unserem Benutzersaal (benutzersaal.freiburg@barch.bund.de) abzustimmen. Alternativ können Sie auch einen der u.a. privaten Dienste mit der erforderlichen Durchsicht der genannten Quellen beauftragen. Dem Militärarchiv sind folgende Personen bekannt, die gegen Entgelt solche Aufträge übernehmen und auch bei der Bestellung von Kopien behilflich sind:

Dr. Ekkehart Guth (Rosenweg 56, 79312 Emmendingen, Tel./Fax: 07641/571298, e-mail: militaergeschichte@t-online.de)
Andreas Kunau (Bleibacher Str. 6, 79261 Gutach i.Br., Tel.: 07685/913641 und 0163/3909077, Fax: 07685/913642, e-mail: andreas.kunau@imail.de)
Archivrecherchen von Livonius & Partner (Haierweg 21, 79114 Freiburg, Tel.: 0761/4538166, Fax: 0761/43135, e-mail: U-v-L@gmx.de)
Sebastian Remus (Postfach 1244, 79249 Merzhausen ,Tel.: 0761/402315, e-mail: remusresearch@aol.com)
Peter Steinkamp M.A. (Hildastr. 33, 79102 Freiburg,Tel./Fax: 0761/4768704 und 0172/8458903, e-mail: SteinkampP@aol.com)
Axel Wittenberg M.A. (Heinrich?Heine-Str.3, 79117 Freiburg, Tel.:0761/640319, e-mail: a.wit@t-online.de)

Chris, why is it that you say you will not gain access?

I am happy to reimburse someone for their time and costs, but was seeking someone that can be recommended, or has been there before and knows their way around.

Thanks
Steve
Old 7th June 2008, 18:44

bill norman

Steve,
|I have used Peter Steinkampf on a number of occasions and have always found him to be speedy and efficient.

Bill Norman
Old 7th June 2008, 19:17

Thanks Bill
That's great; much appreciated
Steve
Old 7th June 2008, 20:11

GrünherzJG54 is on a distinguished road

Hi again,

I can try to translate it a little bit. They told you that you can get there and see all the documents you want. For that reason you should e-mail them for a exact appointment. If you are not able to visit Freiburg by yourself you can order someone out of the list for visiting them and to look for the information you want. I am not sure if you can send someone you like, as I know Germany that isn´t possible, but if you want to just ask them especially for that.

On the other side it might be a good idea to have peter steinkamp to search there. He is used to it and is known by the people there, so the chance that he will overlook something is minimized instead of someone that isn´t used to it and bill had good experience with him already
Old 8th June 2008, 16:06

Hi Christopher

Thanks for your feedback; it looks like Peter Steinkampf is the person to go for. Thanks to you and Bill for the recommendation.

Steve
Old 8th June 2008, 20:40

Alexander is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Very interesting information. I would like to contact them because I would like some copies of "Abschussmeldungen" and "Bergungsmeldungen".
Perhaps also contacting Mr Peter Steinkamp???

Can anybody give me the best way to get them?

I once tried the Wast for information about a pilot (Heinrich Bosin) of
8/JG 54 but received a "NO" as answer.
Regards,

Alexander
Old 9th June 2008, 22:06

red-star25 is on a distinguished road

Hello Alexander!

If you know the signature of the file and what you want out of it, then you can contact Selke directly.
Try 0761/47817908. The ladies there are very helpful.

Regards

Dirk