Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 28th June 2007, 16:07

NickM
A silly question RE: Luftwaffe over Germany...

After reading through it, I noticed the authors 'regretfully' could not include the Defense of the Romanian Oilfields in their book; I was wondering why not? After all they included the air defense of Hungary in the project; Or could it be that Romania was not included in the overall 'Defense of the Reich' umbrella, in spite of it's importance?

TIA

NM
Old 28th June 2007, 16:10
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough
Re: A silly question RE: Luftwaffe over Germany...

One day I should tackle that vast subject. But not before 2010...
Old 30th June 2007, 07:02

Csaba B. Stenge is on a distinguished road
Re: A silly question RE: Luftwaffe over Germany...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM View Post
After reading through it, I noticed the authors 'regretfully' could not include the Defense of the Romanian Oilfields in their book; I was wondering why not? After all they included the air defense of Hungary in the project; Or could it be that Romania was not included in the overall 'Defense of the Reich' umbrella, in spite of it's importance?

TIA

NM

Nick,

I did not read that book, yet, but since the title says 'over Germany' and 'Defence of the Reich', the authors missed nothing. Romania was far from the Reich but Hungary was at the neighbourhood (since the Anschluss). So, the classical Reichsverteidigung units - even the single engined ones - flew a lot of sorties over Hungary - as the Hungarian Bf 109's did it over eastern Austria as well -, but not over Romania (altough the German defence was very strong over Romania too).