Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 8th June 2019, 12:41

jan_ti_sphinx is on a distinguished road
Post von Maltzahn 1st victory

Hullo,

I'm trying to right a short story about Günther von Maltzahn 1st air victory. I know this was against a P. 637 of GR II/52. I have many accounts from French side but none from German side. Does some one have something about it ?

As I undestand French statements, there were 9 Bf 109 involved. A first attack of 3 aircrafts was withdrawn by 2 Curtiss of GC II/4. Then 3 other Bf 109 engaged the Potez of GR II/52, wich was set in fire before 3 other French aircrafts forced the agressor to fly away.

I would like to know how many German aircrafts were involved and of which staffel they belong and also how many attempt they made to shot down the Potez. I'll be glad with all other details form German side for this combat.

Your faithfully
Old 31st August 2019, 11:54

Andrei Demjanko is on a distinguished road
Re: von Maltzahn 1st victory

Just noticed this post

Some details from German side are in the attachment
Old 31st August 2019, 21:20

Fredo Hara is on a distinguished road

Hello.
I take advantage of the subject to know what Maltzahn was doing in October 1941. I ask the question because I saw a picture of Maltzahn in Normandy at this time. It's strange..Fredo
Old 31st August 2019, 21:30

ghostwriter is on a distinguished road
Post Re: von Maltzahn 1st victory

hello,

at http://www.aircrewremembered.com/Kra...tzahn%2C+Baron
you can read this:

Quote:
His first victory, a Potez 63 near Saarbrücken, 30 September, 1939. A 2nd, a Morane 406 SW of Saargemünd on 31 October, 1939. A 3rd, a Morane SW of Saargemünd on 31 March, 1940. His 4th, a Spitfire S of Swanage on 8 August, 1940. Became an "Ace" on 16 August, 1940, downing a Spitfire, no location. Nos.9 & 10, both Spitfires in the London/Dungeness area on 27 September, 1940. His 15th, a Spitfire between Dover & Calais on 19 April, 1941. Channel pilot. Barbarossa pilot, shot down by an I-15, and made a forced landing on 15 July, 1941, after his radiator was hit. His 50th victory, a Hurricane on 19 December, 1941, piloted by American F/O Pete Steele of RAF No.126 Sq., downed over Malta. Shot down in his F-4 on 11 May, 1942, probably by F/O Nash, and rescued by a Seenot aircraft. His 1st Soviet victory, a DB-3 NW of Brest-Litovsk on 22 June, 1941. His 68th, a P-40 over Tunisia on 4 January, 1943. 2nd Luft Squadron to achieve 1000 aerial victories under his leadership. Promoted to Jafu OberItalien & Staff positions for the remainder of the war. Deceased 24 June, 1953 in Düsseldorf. 497 combat missions, 33 victories in Russia.

regards
ghost
Old 31st August 2019, 23:50
Alter Hase

Rottler will become famous soon enough

Hello Fredo,

after converting to Bf 109 F-4 at Mannheim-Sandhofen in early October 1941 the Stab/JG 53 (Kommodore Maj von Maltzahn) transferred to Katwijk. In mid December the Stab/JG 53 was ordered to Sicily.

Regards
Leo
Old 4th September 2019, 21:00

Fredo Hara is on a distinguished road

Thanks Leo
Old 5th September 2019, 20:14

James A Pratt III is on a distinguished road

These books should help
The Fledgeling Eagles and other books by Chris Shore
Air War 1941 John Foreman (which is sort of dated)
The Prien JG 53 history
Old 21st November 2019, 15:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Demjanko View Post
Just noticed this post

Some details from German side are in the attachment
Hi,

Sorry to answer late. I thank you for this document. It doesn't match with the French fighters account, wich states that the two Curtiss protecting the Potez attacked three Bf 109 which were threatening the recce plane. The observer's account doesn't mention this fight : it only states the agressor were chased out buy MS-406, after the Potez was badly hit. So, I think I must look after an other French report, written by Fighter pilot after the combat (the ORB may have been rebuilt after the may-june campaign and may contain mistakes)... provided there's still one.
Old 21st November 2019, 15:12

Nick Hector will become famous soon enoughNick Hector will become famous soon enough

No.54 of GR II/52. Sgt. Rituit KIA, Adj. Mercy badly WIA and Capt. Dudezert baled out safely

The Battle of France, Then and Now p.100
Old 21st November 2019, 20:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hector View Post
No.54 of GR II/52. Sgt. Rituit KIA, Adj. Mercy badly WIA and Capt. Dudezert baled out safely

The Battle of France, Then and Now p.100
Thank you I had this information and more. My questions are about the fight itself because the French accounts I got didn't tell the same story.
If Andrei Demjanko's contribution help me to understand this fact, I need to find other files to test my hypothesis.