Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Movies and Documentaries

Movies and Documentaries Please use this forum to review or discuss movies and documentaries.

Old 15th January 2014, 20:18

Paul Thompson is on a distinguished road
Looking for documentary about Operation Tidal Wave 1943

Hello,

I vaguely remember having watched a good documentary about the 1943 raid on Ploesti about 15 years ago, which prominently discussed the role of the flak train and the attack on it by B-24s. I realise this recollection isn't particularly helpful, but I believe that very few documentaries have been made about this raid, so can anyone help identify the one I am looking for?

Regards,

Paul
Old 17th January 2014, 10:57

muggs_ro is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for documentary about Operation Tidal Wave 1943

Hi Paul, I don't know which one you mean exactly but maybe you'll want to see this one made by the romanian national tv in the 90's, the video quality is quite bad though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl1jvBnRNDI
Old 23rd January 2014, 14:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggs_ro View Post
Hi Paul, I don't know which one you mean exactly but maybe you'll want to see this one made by the romanian national tv in the 90's, the video quality is quite bad though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl1jvBnRNDI
Hello muggs_ro,

Thank you, that's an intriguing video. However, the video that I am looking for was definitely American, not Romanian. Do you have any ideas?

Regards,

Paul
Old 23rd January 2014, 15:58
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Paul, I am trying access old memory chips here so be tolerant!

Walter Cronkite and CBS did a thing called "20th Century". It had part of a segment on the raid. Also, IIRC, the BBC series, "World at War" had a specific program on the raid.

Both these programs made use of the USAAF film that was shot during the
raid. It is some fantastic "live' footage.

I always thought this raid would have made a great movie in the Tom Hanks genre. The book "Ploesti" by Duggan and Hill is practically screen script ready.
Old 23rd January 2014, 21:33
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

The British Pathé site has this newsreel: http://www.britishpathe.com/video/pl.../query/Ploesti
Old 9th February 2014, 15:05

Hello John and Nick,

Thank you both for your help! I am sorry not to have been able to reply earlier, I will now look for both the CBS and World at War TV versions.

There are some more newsreels on the general topic of Allied Ploesti raids, including quite astonishing footage! It's certainly the sort of material Holywood likes, although there is not much of a market for it among the general public, judging by the continual delay of Peter Jackson's Dambusters.

Regards,

Paul
Old 31st May 2014, 13:35

It appears that I have found the name of the Ploesti documentary, after all. It is "Destroy the German Oil Fields", episode 24 of the "Secrets of World War 2" series dating from 1998. I think I first saw it back then, so my memory regarding its quality may not be altogether reliable!

I would be very grateful if anyone could point out where one can buy this documentary.

Regards,

Paul
Old 14th December 2014, 18:49
Alter Hase

researcher111 will become famous soon enough

Ploesti low and high altitude raids were for the last years my research subjects. All the above links are of general info . The link bellow
covering the briefing for the low level mission . Note the various intel errors as into the Ploesti defenses the crews were briefed with

http://www.93rdbombardmentgroup.com/...for_resch.html
Old 15th December 2014, 03:39

Vince Malfara is on a distinguished road

Hi Paul

I don't know if this will help. I don't know if the price listed is for the full episode.

http://www.worldmediarights.com/inde...episode&eid=47
Old 2nd January 2015, 23:56

NickM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Thompson View Post
Hello,

I vaguely remember having watched a good documentary about the 1943 raid on Ploesti about 15 years ago, which prominently discussed the role of the flak train and the attack on it by B-24s. I realise this recollection isn't particularly helpful, but I believe that very few documentaries have been made about this raid, so can anyone help identify the one I am looking for?

Regards,

Paul
Our local public broadcasting station had a Docco called 'A Wing & a Prayer: the Saga of Utah Man'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J_afrDiVlM