Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 17th March 2011, 07:02

Andrew Arthy will become famous soon enoughAndrew Arthy will become famous soon enough
List of USAAF victories against FW 190s in 1943

Hi,

A couple of months ago Morten Jessen and I posted an article on the Air War Publications website that listed USAAF aerial victory claims against FW 190s in the Mediterranean theatre. We then attempted to match up who the USAAF pilots were actually fighting against in each combat, and how accurate their claims were. The period covered is 14 May to 2 September 1943.

The list is available to download from this page, towards the bottom:
http://airwarpublications.com/articles-downloads/book-related-material

I’d be really curious to hear any comments, corrections or additions to this list. Given the recent discussion about Luftwaffe fighter pilot over-claiming and alleged falsifying, I thought that it might interest some to see an effort at matching claims and losses based on primary sources.

Thanks to Frank Olynyk for allowing me to use his victory claims list as a basis for this document.

Cheers,
Andrew A.

Air War Publications – www.airwarpublications.com
Old 17th March 2011, 13:19
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road
Re: List of USAAF victories against FW 190s in 1943

Thanks to you to share this document.

Identifying enemy aircraft met in the air was not the strong point of any air force during WWII.

I have no info on the Italian air force during this period, except what can be found in the book 'Spitfires over Sicily', but I find probable that a part of these Fw 190 could also be Re 2001, 2002 or 2005. The Italian air force was also using D520 at the time against heavy bombers, I wonder how the US pilots would have identified them ?
Old 19th March 2011, 21:57

Mark R. is on a distinguished road

Andrew,

Excellent work. Hopefully I might be able to help with regards to the RA when the three Microfilm rolls that I ordered from the U.S. archives (which apparently has Regia Aeronautica loss data during 1942 - 1943) arrive next month. At least I hope they have some good information at $85 apiece. From what I have seen in my own research, US pilots were certainly over enthusiastic in Tunisia when it came to claiming kills in late 1942 and early 1943. They seem to have gotten better in March through April 1943. I figure that when you have fairly evenly matched aircraft and pilots, no one could afford to stick around to look very closely at what they were shooting at. In another situation, where you would have Zero A6M2s fighting Brewster Buffaloes, the Japanese pilots at least would have some opportunity to look around without worrying about getting their tails shot off.

I wonder if the Luftwaffe benefited from the experten having their wingmen guarding their tail rather than trying to get a kill and because of the fact they were often operating over Axis-held territory. What I am seeing so far in Tunisia is that the Germans were usually within the 75 percentile with their claims (meaning they actually got three out of every four claimed) except for that one unit you know about already.
Old 19th March 2011, 22:52

James A Pratt III is on a distinguished road

From my not to accurate notes:
RE 2002 the 101 and 102 Gps lost 4 on 10 July 1943 but another account has the type with no losses or ops this day!
RE 2005 lost 6 from 10 to 14 July 1943 from all causes
Old 20th March 2011, 03:14

Andrew Arthy will become famous soon enoughAndrew Arthy will become famous soon enough

Hi guys,

Thanks for the comments.

Laurent, you are right that American pilots confused Italian and German aircraft types in this period, and no doubt some of these claims for "FW 190s" were actually Italian aircraft. In the document there is one example of this confusion, on 11 August 1943 when the 31st Fighter Group fought with the FW 190s of II./S.K.G. 10, but submitted victory claims over an FW 190 and a Macchi C.205.

Mark, thanks for the offer to fill in some gaps from the Italian perspective. That would be appreciated. Also, did you receive the long email I sent you on 28 February? I entirely agree about the accuracy of Luftwaffe claims in Tunisia. II./J.G. 51 had some big claiming days, but they match up quite well with USAAF losses. For example, II./J.G. 51 seems to have shot down eight P-38s on 22 and 23 January 1943, claiming nine.

Cheers,
Andrew A.
Old 22nd March 2011, 18:06

Mark R. is on a distinguished road

Andrew, I dont seem to have that email you sent. Wonder where it went? I will recheck soonest. I think that all units had good days and not so good when it came to accurate claims. II/JG 51 for example, claimed four P-38s on 28 December between 1500 and 1530 hours near Pont du Fahs (according to p. 11 of Die Jagdfliegerverbande der Deutschen Luftwaffe Teil 8/II), whereas the only American loss is Lt Frank P. Mullinax of the 49th FS/14th FG. That must have been a confusing fight since II/JG 51 also tangled with 111 Squadron about the same time and location. The Italian material should be arriving sometime in early April as it takes a month for the National Archives to copy microfilm and mail it off. Must be due to the backlog. Then I will have to keep my fingers crossed that the material contains some good loss data.

Sincerely,

Mark