Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 4th January 2017, 11:23
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: RAF and RAAF ORBs available on the Web (new version)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicNJ View Post
I am trying to find sources for any squadrons that have been at Manston, including full ORB for 609 Sqn, 3 and 137 but anything covering its history and finding as many photos as possible.

I guess the question is, if the ORB's aren't linked on here, is the only likelyhood to either consider going to Hendon or Kew?

Thanks
From the National Archives website, you can download RAF Squadron ORB's (AIR27 file series) and pilots' combat reports (AIR50 series) but (a) it's hard to work out which are the bits you actually want and (b) you have to pay for them and the cost can quickly mount up. At Kew you can view these items onscreen and print only the pages you need and it's a bit cheaper per page (25p last time I used the system), so if you want a really large number of items a trip to Kew might work out cheaper overall.
Old 4th January 2017, 12:09

wwrsimon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Beale View Post
From the National Archives website, you can download RAF Squadron ORB's (AIR27 file series) and pilots' combat reports (AIR50 series) but (a) it's hard to work out which are the bits you actually want and (b) you have to pay for them and the cost can quickly mount up. At Kew you can view these items onscreen and print only the pages you need and it's a bit cheaper per page (25p last time I used the system), so if you want a really large number of items a trip to Kew might work out cheaper overall.
Or if you go to Kew, take a digital camera/smartphone and take photos of the screens. Works out a bit cheaper.

Simon
Old 4th January 2017, 14:03
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwrsimon View Post
Or if you go to Kew, take a digital camera/smartphone and take photos of the screens. Works out a bit cheaper.

Simon
Depends what sort of quality you want, especially if the legibility of the originals isn't great (you get the impression that new typewriter ribbons were in short supply sometimes).
Old 30th September 2018, 23:55

dp_burke is on a distinguished road

There is a new digital preview option available for RAF ORB's in AIR27 in the UK National Archives Discovery Database

(AIR27 is operational Squadrons, not OTU's, not training units, not Groups, Wings stations etc, just Squadrons)

I put together a little guide from my experience of using them.

http://www.ww2irishaviation.com/TNA_...guidelines.pdf

They have a text water mark still but I've provided a few examples of what you might find.
http://www.ww2irishaviation.com
Old 27th April 2020, 10:27

Alfred.MONZAT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Beale View Post
From the National Archives website, you can download RAF Squadron ORB's (AIR27 file series) and pilots' combat reports (AIR50 series) but (a) it's hard to work out which are the bits you actually want and (b) you have to pay for them and the cost can quickly mount up.

The National Archives are currently giving a free (limited to 10 documents at once and a total of 50 by month) access to their digitalized archives. If you download 49, you can order 10 more so in fact you can download 59... per mailing adress.
Old 27th April 2020, 10:31
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred.MONZAT View Post
The National Archives are currently giving a free (limited to 10 documents at once and a total of 50 by month) access to their digitalized archives. If you download 49, you can order 10 more so in fact you can download 59... per mailing adress.
And since my old post the on-site system At Kew has changed too. Now you can select the various items you want and email to yourself in a batch rather than printing them out, all free of charge. (Not that this matters while TNA is shut down!)
Old 12th May 2020, 14:14

Smith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred.MONZAT View Post
Hope this doesn’t interrupt the thread. I’m trying to pull together a full record of my Uncle’s service in 619 Squadron RAF (Bomber Command) in 1943.

I’ve got the AIR27’s from the National Archives (via the download quoted above) but they don’t tell you a hell of a lot - they’re short-form notes about how the attack went from each aircraft’s POV. “Bombed the Green TIs, lots of smoke” etc.

It’s as though they are one desk of many in the post-op interrogation. Are there more detailed (or other) notes somewhere? I know from my Uncle’s diaries and letters they experienced fighter attacks etc. none of which is in the AIR27s.

Many thanks, Don