Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 21st May 2019, 10:18

Smithy is on a distinguished road
Re: Uruguayans in RAF service during WWII

Thanks Col Bruggy and I think there will be a few. Obviously not as many as something like the Argentinian contribution but probably more than a handful. But it would be nice if we can find out just how many.
Old 21st May 2019, 14:38
Alter Hase

Col Bruggy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leendert View Post
This link points to pilot John Hyland and Sgt John Drever as having a connection with Uruguay. Scroll down to 1939-1945: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britis...#1939–45

Regards,

Leendert
Hello,

Re: John Alexander DREVER. 1282863 Sgt (W.Op./Air Gnr.). J A Drever RAFVR, was not missing in February 1942. His aircraft, No.162 Sqn Wellington IC Z8905, was lost on 6/7 March 1942 (see: BLME1/Gunby & Temple/130). Also aboard Z8905, was AUS407955 Sgt R G Tregenza RAAF. Tregenza's A705 mentions that Dreyer's next-of-kin was nominated as his mother, Mrs C W Drever, of Massini 3370, Montevideo, Uruguay.

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/Sear...aspx?B=1082208 (p.71 of 72).

Col.
Old 21st May 2019, 17:19
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

Dear Smithy,

I guess that the "Official" number of how many Uruguayans or Brazilians that served both the RAF and His Majesty Armed Forces perhaps will never fully being known.

On my case of study, Brazil entered the war in October 1942...thus up to this time, all those who volunteered did so on a private venture, with some help from the Embassies (covering letters, etc.). All were sons or daughters of British born citizens and, in some cases, some of those volunteers were indeed born in the UK or other Dominion, before sailing from South América to join the Forces.

Most of those "early" volunteers did not wear the BRAZIL shoulder "Country" Badge...but the later ones did. I have seen some pictures of volunteers from CHILI, BRAZIL, ARGENTINE but not Uruguay so far.

ME too would like to obtain "an oficial number" of Brazilian Volunteers....the number may vary...

I guess that the book mentioned previously about the Argentinians is that from Mr. MEUNIER. I only have seen the cover and other details...Guess that the Argentinians too were the South Americans that won the most number of D.S.O.'s.

Adriano Silva Baumgartner, ASV 00.344
Old 21st May 2019, 22:09

Hi Adriano,

Thank you for the reply. You are probably very right that the exact number of these men may never be precisely known but I am hoping that we might be able to at least have a figure which is a close approximation.

This does appear to be one of those facets of RAF history from WWII, albeit possibly a small one, which at best has not been subject to a great deal of research, or at worst largely overlooked, at least in documentation or published sources in the English language.

I'm thinking an email enquiry to Señor Cuenca might be the best next step to see if he can possibly help in terms of numbers of these Uruguayan volunteers.

Tim
Old 22nd May 2019, 13:12

Dave Wallace is on a distinguished road

F/L William McKellar Hodgson DFC AFC, killed on operations with 109 Squadron.
http://aircrewremembered.com/hodgson...-mckellar.html
Old 22nd May 2019, 21:20
Alter Hase

Nice finding Dave

Adriano
Old 22nd May 2019, 22:05

alieneyes1 is on a distinguished road

The Surgey brothers:

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/c...arles-kenneth/

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/c...ey,-john-eady/

Dave
Old 22nd May 2019, 22:29

Thanks to the two Daves for identifying more Uruguayans who served in the RAF above. It's hugely appreciated.

The more I read about this facet of RAF WWII history, the more I realise just how little research or consolidation of information in the English language exists regarding the RAF volunteers from Uruguay, which strikes me as a little sad, considering some of these men made the supreme sacrifice.

I'm getting in touch with Alvaro Cuenca, so hopefully we might be able to put a figure to the number of these fellows. Interestingly a bit of searching on the internet seems to show that Señor Cuenca's "Deber y aventura" is scheduled to be released in English.

Thanks once again to everyone contributing to this thread and please keep the information coming.

Tim
Old 22nd May 2019, 22:56
Alter Hase

Dear Tim,

One more found on my files: Sergeant Denis Michael King (RAFVR 18090889) – Graduated at Nº 27 S.F.T.S. (Canada) on 27 April 1944 along with other South Americans.

And: W/O David Lyford-Pike (From Uruguay)

Adriano

PS: You should try to contact also Mr. Claudio Meunier (Argentinian Historian).
Old 22nd May 2019, 22:57
Alter Hase

Tim,

Contact me: baumgartner_asv@yahoo.com.br