Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 5th January 2010, 13:29

timothy is on a distinguished road
Re: RADAR buff needed!

Tim Plummer - the 'chap' - is most grateful.

Thanks all!

= Tim

PS - As I said - interesting??
Old 5th January 2010, 15:52

Bill Walker is on a distinguished road

Your web site, and other books I have read, show that the Germans first developed a piece-meal defence system, originally aimed at protecting point targets. The Luftwaffe and the Kreigsmarine each had their own systems, and were slow to exchange information. (Just like the RCAF and the RCN in the early days of the Battle of the Atlantic). The German technology was world class (once Hitler allowed development of shorter wave length radars to continue), but the unified command and control structure took longer to develop.

The UK had a nation-wide command and control system in place for air defence before the war started. Radar was just added to this existing structure, as it was developed.
Old 5th January 2010, 16:03

SES

Hi Bill,
You cannot possibly have studied the nine parts on my WEB-site in the time elapsed between our posts. And on GYGES I confirm just the opposite of your latest statement.
Would you say that the attached depicts something piecemeal aimed at point defence?
bregds
SES

Last edited by SES; 1st July 2013 at 23:20.
Old 5th January 2010, 16:56

Bill Walker is on a distinguished road

No, I haven't read all nine sections, but I have scanned them, and read a few other books on the subject. Your attachment shows a line of defence that was developed after Bomber Command night raids began in earnest. Did the Germans start the war with anything similar to the combination of the Observers Corp and the Fighter Command filter centres that tracked aircraft (friendly and hostile) after they penetrated perimeter defences like this? All I have ever read about is small scale local systems, that often left defensive aircraft on the ground in one area while neighbouring areas were flooded with Bomber Command aircraft. The whole idea behind large scale RAF raids, like the 1000 bomber raids, was to locally overwhelm the German defences.

The UK was at a real advantage here, in terms of the area to be covered (the island of Great Britain), while the Germans had a much larger area to cover after this western line had been passed. I still haven't seen anything that tells me the Germans had a wide area command and control network, similar to the UK system in place before the war began, until very late in the war.