Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 14th September 2018, 20:53

George Wolff is on a distinguished road
Subject "Oblt Hans Wolff, 6/KG-2" son wants info

My name is George Wolff and I'm searching for information regarding the service of my late father Hans Wolff. The little I know is some passed-down stories and artifacts he gave me and the few high-level details available on the 'net. I have no logbook or diary or similar detailed records.

He and his crew became POWs on 22 August, 1942; shot down at Worlingsworth Suffolk by a Mosquito of No 157 Sq., piloted by W/C Slade. Their aircraft a Do217E-2 (or E-4)?) Werk Nummer 1152 (U5+LP).

Apparently, he spent time at a PoW camp at Windlestone Hall in County Durham, and was subsequently sent to Canada. He was interned in an officers camp called Seebee, at Kananaskis, Alberta (a recent winter Olympic site).

I have some anecdotes and information that I will add to this thread shortly, including a handful of photographs. He left very little data on his service although he gladly offered me some cheerful watercolors about time as a POW, before returning to West Germany long after the end of the war. (We – his family - emigrated to Canada in 1952, partly because he had been treated with well and with respect as a POW).

I have pictures of him with his Dornier and a shot of a crash-landed Junkers 88 that apparently ran out of fuel after being hit during a bombing run to Dunkirk.

I'm looking for any information and photographs, documents, etc. that can be found to fill in his service record. The Kracker archive says he completed 154 missions, if true that suggests quite a career to document. I want very much to know his entire service record, if anyone can assist me.

RodM of this forum has suggested that I request his service record from the Deutsche Dienststelle (formerly known as the Wehrmachtsauskunftstelle für Kriegerverluste und Kriegsgefangene or WASt) and I am pursuing that avenue.

Many thanks all here for whatever information you can provide me, it will be very much appreciated by me and my family.

Kind regards, George Wolff
Old 14th September 2018, 23:07
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough
Re: Subject "Oblt Hans Wolff, 6/KG-2" son wants info

A bit more detail about the crash. Note that it shows a different date.

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?p=168222
Old 15th September 2018, 10:32
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

George-I was the one that contacted your mother many years ago. I can tell you quite a bit and have photos. His aircraft was dug up nearly 40 years ago. You might like to PM me as I have tried to contact your family again about 5 years ago and guess that Rosemarie is no longer with us

Last edited by Chris Goss; 15th September 2018 at 19:29.
Old 15th September 2018, 18:32

Chris...how lovely to hear from you. You were very kind to my mother some years ago before her death. My sister, Barb, still has the engine plates you sent.
Your digging got me thinking about my father's service and started my search for info...what my wife calls a quest. I especially want to know about my father's "missions" to England. He told me he wasn't part of the blitz...something I doubt. He carried out an astonishing 154 missions
Now let me see what pictures she sent from his Dornier years...
Ask me anything. I owe you for stimulating this "quest".
Old 15th September 2018, 18:33

How can I PM you?
Old 16th September 2018, 07:23

Smith is on a distinguished road

Hi George

Great to see this thread and I note Chris G is in contact, that’s fantastic. Good luck.

edwest2 ... that alternative date doesn’t gel with other sources, likely in error.

rgds, Don

Tags
do217e-2. junkers 88, george wolff, hans wolff, walter, wast