Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East

Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East Please use this forum to discuss the Air War in the Far East.

Old 1st April 2012, 13:47

Skyraider3D is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Ki-44 "Tojo" restoration flies in Japan!

The Aviation of Japan blog reports the following:

Quote:

From Japan comes the exclusive news that last month a unique warbird restoration made its first flight. Former airline pilot Shigatsu B. made a succesfull 14-minute flight in a restored Nakajima Ki-44-II Hei, better known in the West as the "Tojo". Long thought to be extinct, in 2002 a team of wreck hunters discovered a nearly complete 9th Sentai machine in a boggy forested area in North East China. The aircraft had force landed there sometime in 1945. The condition of the wreckage was good enough to warrant full restoration and after lengthy negotiations the wreck was shipped to Japan and a secret restoration project was started in 2004. Although an estimated 70% of the airframe had to be newly built and power is provided by a Russian Shvetsov ASh-82 engine instead of the original Nakajima Ha-109, it is the first time a Ki-44 has taken to the skies in over 65 years. There are yet unconfirmed rumours that the aircraft might be shipped to Europe to participate in some major airshow events in the UK and France, but it would seem more likely that for the next few months the airframe will remain in Japan for further test flying. The same team has however confirmed that a Ki-27 "Nate" is currently under restoration as well, with its first flight expected later this year.
Wouldn't it be fantastic to see this bird form up with the SEAC Spitfire at this years Flying Legends airshow?

Old 1st April 2012, 19:11

S Sheflin will become famous soon enough
Re: Ki-44 "Tojo" restoration flies in Japan!

April 1, 2012?

Steve Sheflin
Old 2nd April 2012, 12:13

digiartist is on a distinguished road

Heh Ronnie, amazing news! And to think you've just done the CG artwork for the Osprey Ki44 book recently......what a coincidence! :-)

Since you've already been rumbled I have to say thats a pretty sweet April 1st jape, and rather lovely render to boot :-)
Old 2nd April 2012, 22:47

Skyraider3D is on a distinguished road

Hehe, yes it is indeed a dirty old April Fools hoax! And "Shigata Baka" is the Japanese equivalent of April Fools.

There were rumours of a Ki-44 restoration (found in Indonesia) a long time ago, and who knows it may just happen one day. But this "photo" is nothing more than a 3D digital rendering I made:

Originally this 3D model was made to illustrate Osprey's 100th Aircraft of the Aces volume about Tojo aces, for which I did all cover art, profile illustrations and line drawings. Nicholas Millman of the Aviation of Japan blog (formerly straggleresearch.com) of course did the research and all the writing.

Here are some examples of the 34 profiles from the Osprey title:

A detail close-up of a topview profile:

The cover art...

...and a close-up of the cover art:

Currently I am working on a 3D model of the Ki-27, which explains the last line of the hoax!

Back to the real aircraft... for those who aren't aware yet, the Ki-44 isn't entirely extinct! A Chinese aviation museum has an unrestored wing centre section in their collection: http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~ku3n-kym/heiki0/seian/seian.html

Also, there currently is a real Ki-44 drop tank for sale on eBay. A most interesting item and some good photos too, that will be useful to modellers.

Well, I hope this was of some interest at least!
Sorry it's all fake... would've been nice though, wouldn't it? Who knows... one day...!

Thanks guys!

Tags
japan, ki-44, restoration, tojo, ww2