Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 27th September 2008, 18:00

neil c is on a distinguished road
Grislawski or Ihlefeld

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can help me. My father, Lt. Stanley Canner, was a Mustang pilot with the 12 TRS/67 TRG. He was shot down 14 July 1944 at approx. 1917h in the Caen/Falaise area, into occupied territory. Where he parachuted to is both in the Falaise (to the northeast) area and south of Caen (to the southeast.)

He successfully evaded for 6 weeks with help from the Maquis.

His MACR states (upon his return) that he was at about 2,000 feet when he was hit and bailed-out at 1,500 feet.

There are three claims for a Mustang at that time on that day, Grislawski (in the Falaise area at 1,200 feet,) Ihlefeld (south of Caen at 3,600 feet,) and Vogel (no location.) Because Vogel's K Report states that he witnessed that Mustang pilot bail-out and land in Allied territory, I have eliminated him.

Could someone translate the pages from Jochen Prien's book regarding 14 July 1944 for me? I have the pages and can post or email.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Neil Canner
Old 27th September 2008, 18:46
Alter Hase

Nokose will become famous soon enough
Re: Grislawski or Ihlefeld

Neil,
Put the text into a on line translator. That might be your best answer.
Old 28th September 2008, 12:26

Thanks Nokose. I tried that but it didn't work well. A member here sent a PM and offered to translate it for me.

Thanks everyone!

Neil
Old 28th September 2008, 15:22
Alter Hase

kaki3152 is an unknown quantity at this point

Another possible solution is that they all had a hand in shooting down Lt. Canner. All three of these pilots reported a Mustang kill at the same time, The MACR report [6662]describes the scene as: "...sections of aircraft peel[ing] towards us with black smoke pouring from their exhaust. They came at me at varying altitudes and both sides.", and there were no other reported Mustang casuaties.
Old 28th September 2008, 17:07

It is odd that three Mustangs were shot down at the exact same time of the same day but I have excluded Vogel because he stated that he witnessed the Mustang pilot he shot down bail-out and land in Allied territory. Lt. Canner went down about 20 miles behind the lines.

Adding to the oddity is that only one MACR was generated for a Mustang on 14 July 1944, that of Lt. Canner's #6662.

I have the MACR and that statement is from Capt. Rusten, who was on the mission with my father. Capt. Rusten is still alive and I am in contact with him. He remembers the mission vividly.

The one thing that bothers me about both Ihlefeld and Grislawski having a hand in shooting Lt. Canner down is the different altitudes they reported. Ihlefeld's claim is for 1,200m and Grislawski's claim is for 400m. Though their locations differ, Falaise and Caen are very close to each other, and he went down between both cities, so that does not eliminate either of them.

Does anyone know if the Germans gave half credits as the USAAF did if two pilots were shooting at an aircraft?

I appreciate the feedback.

Neil
Old 28th September 2008, 19:27

yogybär is on a distinguished road

There were no shared kills in the Luftwaffe.

If you send me a scan of the relevant german text, I can translate it into english.

EDIT: Maybe on of the germans misidentified his victim. Do you know if there was any other allied loss at that time? If not, it certainly looks like a double or even triple claim.
Old 28th September 2008, 20:32

yogybar,

I don't have the times but there are 7 MACRs for P-47s on the 14th though it's hard to imagine a German pilot confusing a P-47 with a P-51.

On the other hand, Ihlefeld claimed a Spitfire 2 minutes after his Mustang claim, so I would assume there were Spitfires in the area. Possibly Ihlefeld or Grislawski made the error in identity, a Mustang instead of a Spitfire.

One thing I do know for certain is that Lt. Canner and Capt. Rusten were not with any Spitfires on that mission nor did they encounter any. Capt. Rusten told me that they were surprised to run into the German fighters that day, "They weren't supposed to be there" he told me.

It could be just a matter of over reporting claims.

A member here has offered his assistance in translating the pages for me but I thank you for offering.
Old 29th September 2008, 10:02
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil c View Post
I don't have the times but there are 7 MACRs for P-47s on the 14th though it's hard to imagine a German pilot confusing a P-47 with a P-51.
You would be surprised!
Old 30th September 2008, 14:14

Maybe, but it wasn't like they were far away and could have made such an error. P-47s don't look anything like a P-51 and they were right on Lt. Canner's tail.

"Five or six were on my tail. Three were actually firing on me" was Canner's statement from his E & E Report.

Does anyone know how I might be able to locate mission summaries from JG1 regarding 14 July 1944? I was told a couple of years ago that they are in private hands and that possibly one of you could help me.

Thanks,

Neil
Old 30th September 2008, 15:19

Andy Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil c View Post
Maybe, but it wasn't like they were far away and could have made such an error. P-47s don't look anything like a P-51 and they were right on Lt. Canner's tail.

Neil
Hi Neil,

Franek is right. Aircraft were constantly mis-identified, even ones that seem quite different in appearance. Pilots of all nationalities were guilty of this. Also remember it wasn't uncommon for friendly aircraft to be engaged due to mis-identification.

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher