Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 18th August 2010, 15:21

dp_burke is on a distinguished road
Luftwaffe Long Range in Atlantic Summer 1942

hello everyone,

could I ask for comments on the following item.

In relation to an RAF Ferry Command aircraft loss in the North Atlantic during the summer of 1942, what was the possibilities of Luftwaffe long range aircraft meeting with a seeking to shoot down aircraft during this time. I'm thinking of the North Atlantic region and around Ireland, up to Iceland as such.

Had Condor activities dropped at this stage of the war? Would such activity be Ju290's & He177's at this time.

My reason for asking is in accounting for Ferry Command aircraft lost in 1942 on their delivery flights, I would take it for granted that these were losses due to technical faults, fuel starvation etc.

I'm trying to discount the likelyhood that such aircraft MIGHT be shot down. Would a long range luftwaffe claim appear in such lists as Tony Woods website for example - Going to check this in greater detail now!

I am aware of activity over the Bay of Biscay but further north I'm wondering about.

Regards

Dennis
Old 19th August 2010, 17:23
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Luftwaffe Long Range in Atlantic Summer 1942

Too early for Ju 290 and He 177 and any losses to the Luftwaffe I would have logged. However, combats north of the Bay of Biscay were rare. Basically, Ferry Command knew the threat and took appropriate precautions
Old 19th August 2010, 17:35

Thanks Chris. This is what I understand and was just trying to put logical words to the situation.
I can say that Luftwaffe records for ths period show no claims in this area and the presence of German long range aircraft at this time in this area would be unusual.

What this stems from is some relatives I'm in contact with use the term 'shot down' for their relatives who died in Fery Command ops. Its not that they think they were shot down, its just their natural expectation/belief that the person was lost through German action. I want to provide some explanation of the cause being technical problems with the aircraft being ferried.

Similar to everyone flying Lancasters, until they find out the person died on a Stirling or Halifax.
Old 20th August 2010, 11:59

Buckeye30 is on a distinguished road

Hi Dennis not exactly relevant to your post but interesting nevertheless; approx. ranges of long-range LW anti-shipping aircraft in the north but which could encounter ferry planes from bases in France and Norway.
From the "Luftwaffe War Diaries" .
Note the Ju88s.
Regards
Nick
Sorry about quality !

Last edited by Buckeye30; 3rd February 2019 at 16:02.
Old 20th August 2010, 15:23
Alter Hase

DavidIsby will become famous soon enoughDavidIsby will become famous soon enough

Of course, the threat was not only the Germans.

I recall that one of the first C-54s flying to Britain was shot down by a USAAF anti-submarine B-24, mis-identified as an Fw 200.
Old 20th August 2010, 16:31
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road

Nick,

Are these curves simply radii from the base? To reach Iceland I'd have thought it necessary to fly a considerable dogleg to avoid British defences, which would distort the shapes and (effectively) place Iceland further away.

There's also the question that first occurs to an ex-peformance engineer such as myself. Are these genuine operational radii, with allowances for combat and diversions, with reserves, or simply half the quoted range?
Old 20th August 2010, 16:52

Thnaks all
I think the main point here is that by 1942 there was not the intention or inclination to be flying in these areas.

I think its safe to say these curves are for illustrative purposes in a publication and not something to plan a flight on.

I think the clear point here is the lack of Luftwaffe claims for the hundreds of Ferry Command aircraft that flew across in 1942.