Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 30th May 2007, 23:46

jacko954 is on a distinguished road
Smile Interest in nightfighter activity, Normandy June 10/11th 1944

Hi
This my first time on the site and I am looking for assistance please.

On the night of June 10/11th 1944 my fathers Avro Lancaster HK553 of 75 Squadron was shot down over Normandy France. The aircraft crashed at Tillieres-Sur-Avre shortly after bombing rail yards at Dreux at 0100hrs. All the crew except my father perished in the crash. My father who was the tail gunner recalls that he recognised the aircraft that shot them down as being a JU 88. ( I was sceptical at first however he states that as the Lancaster lost height, and before he bailed out he clearly saw the sillouette of the aircraft above them, he is 85 and has forgotten many things, however on this particular point he is quite clear, and to be honest I can understand why this image may have stayed with him all these years)

I am aware that the nightfighter ace, Paul Zorner was in the air at this time and in this locality and claims four recorded victories, one of which was a Lancaster.

My question.
  • What type of aircraft did Paul Zorner operate on the night of June 10/11th, was it a JU88 and is it possible that he may have been responsible?
If anyone has any other information that may help I would be grateful

Regards
Jacko 954
Old 31st May 2007, 10:20

BABIN
Re: Interest in nightfighter activity, Normandy June 10/11th 1944

Hello,

Hauptmann Paul ZORNER, from III NJG5, claimed 4 victories during night 10/11 June 1944. He flew a Me 110 G-4 and was based Laon-Athies (North of France). I have no other information.

Pierre
Old 31st May 2007, 11:37

David P. Williams is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Looking at Paul's log book for that night he was indeed flying an Me 110 G-4. It was coded C9+AD.

He claimed a Halifax 14km south west of Dreux. His second was also a Halifax as was the third. All shot down in 8 minutes.

His last kill that night is recorded as a Lancaster. From information given to me by Paul he states this bomber crashed several kilometres north of Chartres. Paul also states that the first 3 Halifaxes crashed south west of Dreux

He took off at 23.44 hrs on 10th June and landed at 02.40 hours on 11th June 1944. These were his 49th to 52nd victories.

I hope this may shed some light on the events for you.

All the best, David.
Old 31st May 2007, 16:49

loiclemarchand is on a distinguished road

Hello Jacko,

Just in case but I presumed that you already know this :

http://perso.orange.fr/forcedlanding/Jackson.htm

Regards

Loic
Old 31st May 2007, 22:48

Arrow Re: Interest in nightfighter activity, Normandy June 10/11th 1944

Gentlemen, thank you for your informative responses, this clearly is addictive once you start to research, you cannot stop until the picture is complete!

I have other names of Luftwaffe pilots hunting in that area on the night of 10/11th June 44.
Can you shed any light perhaps?

Major Paul SEMRAU
Oblt Jakob SCHAUSS
Ltn Frithjof FENSCH
Hptm Hans AUTENRIETH
Fhj Ofw Herbert ALTNER
Uffz HANKE
Oblt Werner HOPF.
According to my information all acredited with either one or two kills of Lancasters or what is described as "a four engined plane"

I have passed on the information re Paul Zorner, he was somewhat disappointed, I believe he was secretly hoping to meet the great man.
We are however returning to the crash site at Tillieres-Sur-Avre on the 16th June 07.

If you are able to help with any more information that would be great

Jacko
Old 31st May 2007, 23:03

Loic
Yes, thankyou, I contacted this site about eight weeks ago asking if they had any details of My fathers Lancaster HK553, the knew about the crash and many details about my father and how he was able, with assistance, to evade capture and return to the UK. They have invited my father to a small memorial at the grave of his lost commrades who died in the wreck. We go on the 16th June.

Regards
Jacko
Old 1st June 2007, 01:59

David P. Williams is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jacko,

I am visiting Paul Zorner and his wife again towards the end of July, if there is anything you wish to have me ask him just let me know. All the best, David.