Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation

Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation Please use this forum to discuss Military and Naval Aviation before the Second World War.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15th January 2020, 18:33
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: German Navy Fokker D.VII

Thanks Guys

I was not aware that Fokker built D.VIIs were not interchangeable with Albatros built ones, but presumably then Alb and OAW were?

Also checked the Aerofiles pages and they certainly say Baum was the pilot and incidentally says the aircraft was D.5584....

I have now checked my secondhand sources for the two pilots in question
The Jasta pilots: Only one Baum, a Ltn d R from Jasta 79b (not our guy)
The Jasta war chronology 15 Oct 1918: Flgmt Baum MFJ 5 interned in Holland
Casualties of the German Air Service 1914-20, part III, POW 15 Oct 1918: FlugzgMt Baum, pilot, MFJ V, Holland interned

None of the above sources have anyone named Karl Engelfried (since he is not in The Jasta pilots, and not under the dates 15 Oct 1918, I have assumed he is not listed anywhere else either, ie different date).

Two questions then pop up, who was Karl Engelfried and from where comes the first name Alfred? Alfred is not mentioned in the three sources above and not on Aerofiles either as far as I can see. Is there a slight chance the pilot actually was Karl Engelfried Baum (possibly also named Alfred)?

Also from where comes the unit details? All my sources says MFJ V or 5. So what was 1e Seeflug Abteilung Marine Jagd Stab IV? Aerofiles even manage to state both these units on their site....

I feel like I am at the end of the line here.
I will re-list the aircraft as either D.5584 or D.5288 and note the problems as initially noticed by Peter. However I am still very certain it is one and the same aircraft/incident....

Thanks Guys for a very rewarding topic. I have enjoyed this discussion tremendously.

Cheers
Stig