Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 12th June 2005, 10:55

Jaap Woortman is on a distinguished road
RLM manufacturer code.

Dear friends,

The Dutch Studygroup Airwar 1939-1945 is working on an inventarisation of all a/c crashes in the Netherlands during WWII. In this project I am working on an analysis of all, in the litterature mentioned, Me 262 crashes in the Netherlands. In this analysis I am working together with Richard T.Eger, Don O'Connell, John Manrho, Coen Cornelissen and the people from the Documentation Group Volkel in the Netherlands. During the reading of Jurleits book "Strahljäger Me 262 im Einsatz" I found in Anlage 5 of this book a copy of a "TA-Bericht" of H.Wendel of 29.2.45 in which he mentioned the Me 262 as 8-262. I presume this was a way of "hiding" the true identity of the plane. My question is: is this also done for planes of the other manufacturers in Germany during WWII and are these numeric manufacturer codes known?
If this subject has been on the board before I have missed completely. Sorry for that.

Jaap Woortman
Secr. Dutch Studygroup Airwar 1939-1945.
Old 12th June 2005, 14:22

ArtieBob will become famous soon enough
Re: RLM manufacturer code.

All aircraft designs, military and civil (excluding small gliders) which were recognized by the RLM were assigned an "8" series number. Some of the early "8" numbers recognized existing manufacturers design numbers where they were already well-known, i.e. Ju 52, Kl 35, etc., most were new numbers, having to do with the design sequence numbers of the manufacturers. The "9" sequence was for powerplants, I believe other number sequences were used for other components, such as propellors, etc. but I am getting off topic. Generally the "8" numbers were issued only once, but some were issued twice later in the war possibly to confuse foreign intelligence, i.e.Bf 163 (prewar) and Me 163(late war).

I have been working to assemble a complete "8" number sequence for years and thus far have not found any primary documents (which would probably have originated from RLM C-AMT). To my knowledge, no really reliable list has been generally available. If anyone can direct me to any "8" lists originating from RLM or LW sources, I would be most appreciative.

Finally, the "8" number lists should not be confused with the design number sequences of the manufacturers. Arado, B&V, etc., etc.,all had their internal system for identifying design studies, these have nothing to do with the RLM numbers.

Best regards,

Artie Bob
Old 12th June 2005, 21:57

Jaap Woortman is on a distinguished road
Re: RLM manufacturer code.

Dear Artie Bob,

Thank you for your clear explanation!
I hope you will receive some answers.

Jaap