Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 9th January 2008, 14:18

Frontsoldat is on a distinguished road
Bf 109 G-10 II./JG 52 White 11

08 May 1945, Neubiberg, Germany. One of a large number of a/c to surrender that day.
Can anyone help with info on a/c with regards to wheel bulges. (660x190 or 660x160 tires?) Tall or short tail wheel?
Any info, photos or otherwise?
Thanks.
The frustrated modelmaker.
Old 9th January 2008, 15:15

cproyston is on a distinguished road
Re: Bf 109 G-10 II./JG 52 White 11

I'm fairly sure of large wheels/wheel bulges and short tail wheel. I have the colour scheme as 74/75(faded)/76.

Some sources offer a 75/77/76 scheme, but many of the other aircraft at Neubiberg also appear in this "faded" scheme and the majority of published photos were taken some time after surrender (Aug-Sept 1945), so I'm sceptical - especially given the apparently (lack-of) quality of RLM 75 paint towards the end of the war and that these aircraft had been sat where they surrendered all summer.

The yellow cowl band is also commonly shown as around the middle of the cowl, but the photos I have don't appear to confirm this - I'm more inclined towards the band being at the front of the cowl (immediately behind spinner)

Hope this helps,
Chris
Old 9th January 2008, 16:50

Thanks Chris!
Yep, strange colour along spine, maybe I'll go with RLM 02.
Cheers.
Old 10th January 2008, 04:56

F19Gladiator is on a distinguished road

Comments on White 11 “Rosemarie” of II/JG52 Neubiberg 1945 compliled from my previous correspondence files:

To confuse the student on this subject there is another G-10 photographed at this airfield with a cowling suspiciously close in appearance to the profile in Ref 1, Page 68, why I for some time suspected that the profile was wrong.
However, my memory recalls that I later agreed to that this profile was more accurate when compared to Tullis' version in "Eagle Files # 3 Augsburg's Last Eagles…." by Brett Green and Thomas Tullis, which I also studied.

I found the profile in the JaPo book (Ref 1, Page 68) more accurate in almost every detail when comparing with photographs.
The port side is the most covered, as I recall having seen only two shots of the starboard side yet.
A photo of port side cockpit area of "Rosemarie" is to be found from on p.48 in "Messerschmitt Bf 109 in Action, Part 2, Aircraft Number 57, Squadron/Signal Publications.
A much better version of this photo, also with an enlarged part showing the name "Rosemarie" can be found in Ref.1, page 41. Here one can clearly see that the shape of the patch under "White 11", the over painted forward II Gruppe bar, the 100 octane triangle and the fuselage cross, is more accurate in the JaPo profile.
Another b/w photo showing the full port side from a distance also appears in Ref. 1, page 39, together with a similar one showing the rear fuselage.

Camouflage and Markings:
Conclusions from TEXT in Luftwaffe Over Czech Territory part 2:

After March 7 Luftflotte 4 markings ( i.e. yellow rudder and ring around front nose part.)

Overpainted horizontal II Gruppe marking with grey, ahead of "11", caracteristic position of this bar indicating previous use with II/JG51, obviously flying this a/c before it was handed down to II/JG52 at Brno in April 1945.

The name "Rosemarie" under the cockpit was applied in two colours.(Red with black outline)

Basic camouflage corresponding standard WNF (Wiener-Neustadt) build standard.

Cowling was darker in appearance with visible colour segmentation and most probably came from another aircraft. An area similar in shape to a JG 53 emblem covered with darker paint.

Traces of repair under the stabilzer (colour variation) and on round cover fuselage section 2

Conclusions from PICTURES in Luftwaffe Over Czech Territory part 2:

Fuselage cross is white outline version, probably painted on top of RLM 83 Dunkelgrün.

100 octane instead of 87 triangle.

I have only found two (bad) pictures of the starboard side (p. 47 & 70):
-Probably no "Rosemarie" under the cockpit.
-"White 11" in same position as on port side and also similar in relation to a corresponding colour patch covering the previous a/c number on the fuselage.
-Overpainted JG53 emblem also on starboard side. Same impression of a "dark" cowling as on the port side.

No good picture of the wing camouflage.

Regarding weathering: The late war manufactured Lw fighters also typically had a very thin paint coat, why a "chipping" was very unlikely to happen. The paint was more like worn, or rubbed thinner and thinner at places subject to abrasion from walking, servicing etc.
Ref. 1 claims it to "….reveal numerous scratches, stains, burns and bangs…"

Reference 1.
Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-10/U4 Production & Operational Service. Luftwaffe over Czech Territory – 1945, (vol) II, JaPo, 2004.
www.japo-publishing.cz.

The best picture info source in one volume I have seen on Bf 109 G-10s, G-14s and Ks, surrendering at Neubiberg 8 May 1945. Very useful pictures, comments on RLM colors, markings on the G-10s, and much more. This 80 page volume also has a wealth of info on the G-10/U4 in general. In my opinion this is a must to own book if interested in the G-10/U4.

Br
Goran
Old 11th January 2008, 05:25

Thanks for all the help guys!
Your time and effort are above and beyond.
Cheers!
John Kennedy.