Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > The Second World War in General

The Second World War in General Please use this forum to discuss other World War Two related subjects not covered by the main categories.

Closed Thread

Old 24th May 2009, 19:55
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road
Stolen property

News hit media here in Poland that a standard of Association of Polish Legionaries is offered on auction in Germany. The problem is that it cannot be considered a trophy of war, as it was robbed by an SS-Mann from the Museum of Independence Movement in Cracow, and as such should be returned to original owner according to international law. Nonetheless, at the moment any such action is being refused.
Unfortunately, it is typical approach by German authorities and institutions, which refuse to return goods to their rightful owners, and spreading demands instead.
Just a note to those, who think WWII is long over.
http://m.onet.pl/_m/8ad760e07fb73ca0...08c8c,14,1.jpg
Old 27th May 2009, 04:50
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Stolen property

Franek,

I would never defend stealing or selling stolen property but hasn't everything been done to handle this issue? I mean, is there something that could be done that hasn't? World War 2 has left deep scars in Poland, I know, but dwelling on this can be counterproductive. I do wish you well.

Regards,
Ed
Old 28th May 2009, 16:35
Alter Hase

Ed
It depends on what you consider by everything. The general problem is that that German authorities refuse any actions in this regard. It is supposed that there are several robbed goods in vast stocks of various German national galleries, but without official approval it is not possible to conduct any search. It is even worse with private collections or with goods that were then looted by Allied soldiers or institutions. In the effect Poland cannot recover vast part of its own collections.
As a side note, I suppose that living in Anglo-Saxon country, your perspective is a little bit different, but here in Poland and in Czech republic, where we are neighbouring with Germany, we have it just in front of us. Quite recently German CDU/CSU parties made a statement that was clearly understood as a demand of returning to the Germans of property that was handed over to Poland and Czechoslovakia, based on Yalta and Potsdam treaties. This was just one of several similar actions undertaken in recent few years. It looks that some are allowed to dwell and complain, and some are not. We have lost too much due to German and Soviet occupation, to allow it to happen again.
Old 28th May 2009, 17:29
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point

Franek,

Thank you for your reply. My parents were born in Poland. My father was captured by German troops and put in a forced labor camp. Here he met my mother. After the capitulation of Germany, my parents went to the United States. During the Cold War we received mail from relatives in Poland.

It is frustrating to see that those who are somehow in a position to do so still attempt to exploit or bully those in a different position. I guess all I'm saying is that, even in the US, I see things that sadden me because they are unjust but all I can do is work within the system. Otherwise, I am using up my emotional energy and I've realized that in my position, there is not much more I can do.

Poland lives on,

Ed
Old 28th May 2009, 22:13
Alter Hase

Ed
I think that most people do not realise that the can of worms opened in 1939 is still not closed in this part of Europe, and will not be as long as people will suffer from the results. Losses were tremendous, and worth to note, that Poland ultimately lost some 10-12 millions of citizens, more than 1/4 of pre-war inhabitants. You can imagine the shock it causes, not to mention material losses.
Old 28th May 2009, 22:42
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation

Well, there are also many other issues minor and not so minor of former ownership between Germany and Poland, that standard certainly isn't amongst the very important ones.

The war has ended, even in Poland.

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Closed Thread