Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Closed Thread

Old 24th April 2016, 00:25
Alter Hase

Teresa Maria is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Wutz Galland

I have come across the following piece of information, which has shocked me deeply:
'
Galland, Wilhelm-Ferdinand (“Wutz”)
Major der Luftwaffe /
SS-Mann

* 23.10.1914 in Bochum / Westfalen.
+ 17.08.1943 west of Maastricht (during an attack on a formation of USAAF 4-engined bombers [flying FW 190A-6 530125 "schwarzer Doppelwinkel"], shot down and killed in combat with a P-47 Thunderbolt).

SS-Nr.:

Promotions:
SS-Mann
00.00.19__ Leutnant (Luftwaffe)
05.05.1942 Oberleutnant (Luftwaffe)
03.01.1943 Hauptmann (Luftwaffe)
18.05.1943 Major (Luftwaffe) '

Source: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=88687

Can this be true??? Was Wutz Galland really a member of the SS, or is this just a mistake?
Old 24th April 2016, 00:58
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough
Re: Wutz Galland

Hmmm..................
Our career notes for him do not mention this:
http://www.ww2.dk/Lw%20Offz%20-%20G-...Apr%202016.pdf
All we can say is that Michael Miller is a very reliable and respected guy, but we all make typographical errors.
On the other hand, if true, being made an honorary member of the SS would not have been extraordinary or a shocking event during the days of the Third Reich.

L.
Old 24th April 2016, 19:07
Alter Hase

Teresa Maria is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Wutz Galland

Thank you very much for your answer. I am deeply relieved to hear that Wutz Galland was not an SS-man. That rumour about him (or maybe a mistake) was really disturbing.
Old 24th April 2016, 20:06

VtwinVince is on a distinguished road

Who cares? Are you making a retroactive moral judgement? My uncle was a member of the Party, the DLV and the NSFK, all Nazi organizations. But he was still a front-line fighter leader, and a damned brave one.
Old 24th April 2016, 21:18

sidney is on a distinguished road

Teresa Maria, I would agree with Vince - I feel that your apparent concerns about 'Wutz' Galland's membership in the said organization is superfluous.

The organization was ambitious and widespread, and, if I remember correctly, divided in three main branches: Allgemeine (general), Totenkopf (concentration camps) and Waffen (military branch) - it is only remotely likely that he belonged to either of the three. And even if he did, not just about every member there was a war criminal.

Whether Luftwaffe pilots were members of the Party is a matter of contention today. I even read in one of the early issues of LimF that "... the Party membership was something frowned upon by most of the Luftwaffe pilots...". Personally I doubt that it was the case, but the case seems hard enough to prove either way.

Last edited by sidney; 24th April 2016 at 23:34.
Old 24th April 2016, 21:30
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

I agree with Vince as well. The SS was wide-ranging in its operations and activities, such as the SS Technical Branch and Paratroopers.

http://www.amazon.com/SS-Fallschirmj.../dp/0764329448

Usual disclaimer,
Ed
Old 24th April 2016, 22:45
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Using the search discriminator "honorary" in our Officer Careers data base, I found these:

DÖRR, Julius (Flieger-Ingenieur)
LUCHT, Roluf (Rolf?) Wilhelm (Flieger-Ingenieur)
MAHNKE, Franz (Flieger-Ingenieur)
MAYR, Rudolf (Lufthansa, KG 40, Rechlin test pilot)
SPANG, Willibald (Gen.Lt. and pilot)

All honorary SS or NSDAP. There are many, many more that can be found using other search terms. For example, 9 were found just among those with a last name beginning with the letter "A" using the search term "NSDAP", with some of these also having SS affiliations.

It would be fair to say that Party and SS membership, voluntary or honorary, was common.

L.
Old 25th April 2016, 04:04

VtwinVince is on a distinguished road

I believe Rudel also held honorary rank in the SS, but he's still the Luftwaffe's number one Badass in my books.
Old 25th April 2016, 09:46
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

"Whether Luftwaffe pilots were members of the Party is a matter of contention today."

Some of them definitely were — hardly surprising given the size of the NSDAP and conscription for the armed services. I've seen at least one ULTRA which reported names of airmen in a unit who were party members (but don't ask me to find it). From previous discussions I think it came up that party membership was suspended during military service.
Old 25th April 2016, 13:20
Alter Hase

DavidIsby will become famous soon enoughDavidIsby will become famous soon enough

Udet was also a party member.

I was unaware of Roluf Lucht's party membership, but this certainly makes sense in light of how he was sent from his position in the RLM to a position at Messerschmitt.

The dynamic was different at high level in industry. Messerschmitt was a party member, but Ernst Heinkel and Claud Dornier did not join.