Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 26th April 2016, 18:37

srob48 is on a distinguished road
Re: Hptm.Kuekens St.kapitan 3/KG3 loss.

While I was checking the name Lt. Heinz Sachse in my database, I found another Lt. Sachse who died the same day:
4/KG2, 26.08.1940, Dornier Do17Z (3445), Crashed near Namur, Belgium. Lt. Sachse killed. 3 crewman wounded. Aircraft U5+MM a write-off.
Is this a coincidence or has there been a mix up in the crash reports?

Added:
Sorry guys, I see this question has already been covered in another thread.

Last edited by srob48; 26th April 2016 at 19:52.
Old 26th April 2016, 23:00
Alter Hase

steve sheridan

Thanks Matti and Peter, I agree with the casualties and assigned a/c as suggested. It would appear that a lot of KG3 losses during this period don't give crew names or full names. I have a good number of crew lost or wounded during the French campaign with no first name or function, but to be fair, this could be said about many other units as this information wasn't included in Peter's
" Battle of France Then and Now". Was this due to space constraints?
Kindest regs,
Steve.
Old 27th April 2016, 12:36

Peter Cornwell is on a distinguished road

Steve,

There were no space constraints imposed on my work BofFrT&N. And to the best of my knowledge I included every known operational aircraft casualty during the period covered. So I will be fascinated to learn what information you have that I failed to include.

srob48

You have confused me (and possibly others). Please advise exactly which other thread you refer to ?
Old 27th April 2016, 18:45
Alter Hase

steve sheridan

Peter I'm not referering to losses but simply the fact that first names or crew functions are not listed in your book for Luftwaffe units.
It can be quite difficult sometimes trying to identify aircrew without the christian name, particularly for common names such as Muller, Schmidt Braun etc.
I have a lot of admiration for your work Peter and I'm not knocking you in any way, I was merely asking whether this information was held back to save space within the publication process!
Best regs,
Steve
Old 28th April 2016, 09:09

Peter Cornwell is on a distinguished road

Relax - no offence taken I assure you. I simply misinterpreted your comments and was interested in any additional information you may have had to offer that's all. The losses in BoFrT&N were presented as my records stood at that time but things have moved on since then and the loss lists I currently manage for the EOE project are setting the bar considerably higher.
Old 28th April 2016, 09:59
Alter Hase

steve sheridan

Thank you Peter, I certainly look forward to your current EOE work hopefully not in the too distant future!
I'm sure Larry was about to give a heads up on the current state of the EOE project a while ago?
Best regs,
Steve.