Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 6th January 2009, 14:06

Allan125 is on a distinguished road
130 (Punjab) Squadron – S/Ldr P V K Tripe

Grateful for any assistance with the above – I have been contacted by members of his family with regard to a few requests for information.

Does anybody hold copies of the 130 (Punjab) Squadron ORB (AIR 37/938) for August/September/October 1944 and January 1945, or is visiting the NA shortly?

130 (Punjab) Squadron took Spitfire XIV’s on charge in August 1944, and exchanged them with 350 (Belgian) Squadron on 29 September 1944 (the 350 ORB reports the matter as follows for 29 September 1944. - "Today the Squadron moved from Hawkinge to the satellite station at Lympne, leaving its A/C Spitfire XIV (E) for 130 Squadron who are moving into T.A.F. and proceeding to HOLLAND. 350 Squadron took over 130 Squadrons A/C Spitfire XIV.") – So they are looking for serials/individual codes flown by S/Ldr Tripe during both those periods as reported in the Form 541.

On 16 January 1945 he baled out of Spitfire XIV RM762 near to Y.32 Ophoven after sustaining flak damage (whether by German or US forces is not clear), and they would be grateful for the individual code letter, if recorded, and how the matter was reported in the 130 Squadron Form’s 540 and 541.

It is reported as below in the 125 Wing ORB

Weather prevented flying before lunch, but around 1400 hours armed recces were started to the Drieborn area as it had been reported that concentrations of German Met had been located. 350 were airborne first being led by the Wing Commander. The promised "fruit" was not located, in fact there was little movement seen over a wide area. Intense flak was experienced and F/Lt Smets was hit and had to bale out inside the enemy lines. 610 were away next, but they got no joy at all. 130 took off third and they ran into a packet of trouble. Intense flak of sorts was thrown at them but despite this the pilots pressed home their attacks on scattered Met and were able to claim a tank damaged and one lorry destroyed and three others damaged, but flak was severe. S/Ldr Tripe was hit and wounded in the right arm. He smartly started for home and then all sorts of things began to happen. He was somewhere near to base when the starboard wing stripped and he realised he would have to bale out. He was severely handicapped by the wound in his arm, but he managed to jettison his hood, and then at 1500 feet he clambered to his feet and let the slipstream pull him out. His "chute" opened O.K. and he landed right next to his favourite "pub" - the "Madaga" at Niel-Pres-d'Asch. He was picked up by the Army and was back at dispersal in a few minutes - in fact before the rest of the squadron had landed. A good show.

Please note that I have recorded this request on to both the RAF Commands and TOCH Forums.

Many thanks

Allan
Old 7th January 2009, 18:03

Chris Thomas
Re: 130 (Punjab) Squadron – S/Ldr P V K Tripe

Allan, don't hope for much - last time I saw the 130 Sqn ORB microfilm, the Form 541s were missing from Nov 44 onwards. Those previous to that date recorded serials but no codes.
Chris Thomas
Old 7th January 2009, 23:06

Hello Chris

Many thanks for your advice, nice to hear from the man who co-wrote the book(s) on 2TAF, and probably holds more information than most of us forumites combined!!

I knew that the squadron Form 541's were not available for April '45, but hadn't realised they were missing from much earlier than that.

I had previously advised Phil's family that I didn't hold out much hope of the Form 541 containing both the individual code and serial (we don't often get that lucky do we!!). However, are you able to supply the Form 540 record of how Phil Tripe's bale-out is recorded - no doubt the 125 Wing ORB record was a précis from that?

My reason for holding late April '45 was for my research with regard to the Spitfire XIV that featured in "Fighter Dig - Live" in May 2004, and trying to work out whether it was that of Murphy or Clay. We knew it wasn’t that of Carter as that crashed within British lines – and had also eliminated Guy de Patoul of 350 (Belgian) Squadron as the serial RM618 was found inside the cannon hatch of one found in a lake.

At least doing that research I confirmed the date that Ian Smith (former PM of Rhodesia) joined 130 squadron as 23 April.

cheers

Allan

Last edited by Allan125; 7th January 2009 at 23:18. Reason: found the photos of RM618
Old 8th January 2009, 16:44

Chris Thomas

Allan, I regret I do not have copies of 130's ORB, only notes I made before digital cameras were welcome at Kew. I must say 130's ORB left me with a lot of problems - eg. the date Tripe was shot down conflicted with other sources (14th in the F.540). The only note I have was that he was hit by flak, caught fire and baled out near base.

One consolation was that the ORB (or appendices thereto) have Forms OR101 for up to January 1945 (I believe they were discontinued after that as Jan 45 is always the last in any unit record that has them). These forms listed in tabular form daily changes in aircraft on charge eg. reporting aircraft received, damaged or lost (with reasons categorised). The bad news is that you'll ne looking at microfilm copies of bromide copies reduced from the originals ... No codes or pilots mentioned though.

Just in case it is relevant - Vol.4 due out next month has an errata re 130 Sqn - namely the serial of AP-S in the photo on p.298 in Vol.2 - said to be RM655, it now appears it was RM693 (having been recoded with AP when taken over as MN-S from 350 Sqn. There's a thought - if Tripe flew an ex-350 machine there's a fair chance it carried its original code letter - and 350's codes are quite well documented. Better than nothing ...

Liked that snippet about Ian Smith. I'd always seen him credited with being a Spitfire pilot but never found his unit. I wonder if 130 was his first operational posting? I've a feeling someone out there knows ...
Chris
Old 8th January 2009, 18:42

Hi Chris

Thanks for the update - I have a few answers for you as well.

AP-S RM693 definitely not RM655 - I have a photo of this as flown by P Pacco of 350 at Lympne, as RM693 MN-S - if you look under the AP you can clearly see a box containing an overpainted MN.

F/Lt Ian Smith (SR80463) - 130 squadron was certainly not his first operational posting - he had been operational in the desert on Hurricanes with 237 (Rhodesia) Squadron, where he famously broke his nose - described in his own words in “The Great Betrayal” as: “Taking off one morning in the dark and a sea mist on a dawn patrol, my undercarriage hit a bomb shelter at the end of the runway, and I landed in hospital with a bashed face, broken jaw, broken leg, broken shoulder, and a back which at first was thought to be broken but fortunately was only buckled. It was a bit of a mess. The Squadron doctor’s comment was that if I had not been so fit and strong it could have been the end, but after five months of expert medical attention at the Fifteenth Scottish Hospital on the banks of the Nile in Cairo I was passed fit for flying.”

He then flew Spitfires from Corsica, still with with 237 (Rhodesia) squadron, being shot down in the Po Valley, near to Genoa, on 22 June 1944.

He landed in the Ligurian Alps, evaded capture, and was there for five months, fighting with the Italian Partizani against the Germans. Ian Smith decided to come back because the winter was coming on and the Germans were coming down out of the snow line. They had to cross the Maritime Alps above the snow line and walked for 23 days toward France because the American invasion force had come in. He states “It wasn’t easy. But eventually I brought the team over.”

In “Spitfire against the odds” by Ronnie Ashman (a pre-war regular erk who became an NCO fighter pilot, and, in March 1945, joined 130 (Punjab) squadron) he states:

On 23 April a certain Rhodesian Flying Officer joined the Squadron, a nondescript character to arrive so late on the second front. He was a likeable chap to talk to on the few occasions I met him, but there was something out of the ordinary about him; he was an intellectual with firm ideas. He entered the service as a Sergeant, flew with the Desert Air Force and was injured. After hospitalisation he resumed flying from Corsica and was shot down again over Italy, but with the aid of the local populace he eventually made his escape. Determination on his part took him to England nearly a year later, to continue the fight, and after conversion at the same old 83 GSU, Dunsfold, we all knew so well, he arrived at 130. This man, although no one could possibly envisage it then, was to be the future Prime Minister of Southern Rhodesia and eventually kicked in the teeth by the ruling British Government for his pains - he was none other than Ian Smith (service number SR80463).

Ronnie Ashman is the pilot who delivered JEJ's bubble top XIV MV268 from 83GSU to 125 Wing.

Apologies if I have missed it, but I cannot see any reference to "Blue Group" in the 3 volumes of 2TAF, but it existed - my father, now 87, served at Z Group HQ from day 1, then Blue Group HQ, then 83 Group HQ before moving to 125 Airfield/Wing HQ in April '44 - and 122 Wing HQ from July '45.

It is also mentioned in the 122 Wing history (...It was at Ellon that the Wing had once again to change its address. It had passed through Z Group and Blue Group and 83 Group, and then B.W.E.F. (British Western Expeditionary Force - or Burma When Europe Finished) Now it was to be B.L.A. - British Liberation Army...)

With regard to Phil Tripe - as far as his family are concerned he baled out on 16 January.

RM762 appears as MN-J on the website of my friend Serge Bonge http://www.350sqn.be/aircraft.html so perhaps that simply became AP-J and the "mystery" is solved??

Serge provided me with the 350 ORB, so he would have taken his record from the same source that I would check, hopefully he has saved me the legwork!!

Volume 4 of 2TAF is already on order at Amazon.co.uk - and eagerly awaited. Trouble is these 3 (soon to be 4) volumes have devalued a much treasured original publication!!!

cheers

Allan

Last edited by Allan125; 8th January 2009 at 18:44. Reason: a few minor changes
Old 8th January 2009, 19:48

Chris Thomas

Allan, many thanks for your updates. The photos of AP-S and MN-S (thanks to Serge) appear alongside each other in Vol.4 (I asked the publishers for news today - it should be out early Feb).

I am afraid 'Blue Group' evaded the net; not sure why, but we never came across a mention of it.

Many thanks for the comprehensive update on Mr.Smith - I'll try and get hold of his book.

RM762 'J' may be as close as you can get unless a logbook of one of those rare pilots who recorded serials and codes comes to light.

Sorry about the original ...

Chris
Old 10th January 2009, 15:16

leal_kerr is on a distinguished road

Allan, I have a hard copy of 130's ORB for the period you seek, unfortunately, as Chris notes, they do not note serials. I also have copies of logbooks from Geoff Lord, Ian Ponsford, Joe Boulton and Vic Seymour, these only record the aircraft code letter not serial numbers. Is there anything in particular you are after as I can scan these and email to you. Please advise. Regards
Old 10th January 2009, 19:02

Hello Leal

Nice to hear from you - I would be grateful for anything you feel willing to supply, both for the Tripe family and my own archives. Joe Boulton also flew with 453 Squadron, so he had two tours with 125 Wing, and is of special interest.

Feel free to contact me off-board on allan(dot)hillman(at)btinternet(dot)com so we can discuss further - and you can advise your interest in 130 Squadron - perhaps I can help you with information as well.

cheers

Allan

Last edited by Allan125; 10th January 2009 at 19:04. Reason: a few amendments
Old 11th January 2009, 15:05

leal_kerr is on a distinguished road

Allan, no problems. I will drop you a line on your private email within the next 24 hours to discuss 130 sqn with you. This squadron has been a favourite of mine for many years and have had the privilege to meet or correspond with several 130 squadron identities over the years. I look forward to discussing and sharing information on 130 sqn.

Regards
Leal Kerr