Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 24th May 2006, 09:16

robert_schulte is an unknown quantity at this point
Strange Bf 109 G-3

In the issue Flugzeug Profile Nr. 5, Messerschmitt Bf 109 G/K, there is a drawing of a Bf 109 G-3 converted for person transport.
Quote:" Drawing of the BF 109 G-3 without head armoured plate and without wireless equipment to give place for three additional persons."
One person would stand half kneeling behind the pilot, two others sitting on the floor one behind the other looking to the tail.
No further explanation is given in the text.
Does anybody know what should have been the purpose of this plane and if there were built any? I haven't found anything anywhere else, not even in Prien's book Bf 109 F,G & K.
If required, I could show a scan of the drawing.
Thanks in advance
Robert
Old 24th May 2006, 10:49
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road
Re: Strange Bf 109 G-3

Evacuation from Africa? This was done by the fighter units to transport their mechanics.
Old 24th May 2006, 13:45
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation

Yes, I seem to remember that this was an emergency method that saw use in the more dramatic evacuations of the war like Tunis and the Crimea, to save personnel that would otherwise have been abandoned to their fate.

Not limited to the G-3.

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 24th May 2006, 17:07

robert_schulte is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for these explanations, seem to be quite logical.
Since this drawing was in the chapter about the G-3, I was wondering, if this was a specific conversion of the G-3.
Would be interesting to see a photo of such a "ferry plane".
Old 1st July 2008, 21:43

George Hopp

I know that this is a really old thread, but it popped up at the bottom of the page inquiring about the Bf 109 E-6 and I couldn't resist looking at it.

Since I also have a drawing of the aircraft, from original Mtt documents, as mentioned by Robert, I thought the other readers might like a look at it. I doubt that any photos would pop out as being this aircraft, except for the missing head armour, because it certainly would not like to draw attention to itself from enemy fighters.
Old 2nd July 2008, 13:36

RolandF is on a distinguished road

I´ve read about this 3-man evacuations in Ring/shores, too.

Interesting is the date of the document which is about two weeks after the evacuation of Tunisia. It seems to me that Mtt did not know what is possible with its products until those pilots proved it to be possible.

Would be interesting whether this drawing found its way into official documents because evacuation wasn´t a word found in the OKL vocabulary